Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie S-60 Drive/Steer Joystick issues

DaleKramer · 2022-06-10 16:16

I own and service my own 2006 S60 Genie Perkins powered Lift SN:6006-13542 which is suddenly generating error codes 51-17 for Drive stick and 61-17 for Steer stick. As a result, my Steer/Drive joystick is now INOP. I have the appropriate service manual and schematics. I am well versed in hydraulics and electronics. The Boom Up/Down+TurtableRotate joystick operates as normal. I have the same voltages on the wire harness wires to each of the 'INOP drive/steer joystick' and the 'operating UP/Down+TurntableRotate joystick'. With both joysticks connected to their harnesses, I get properly changing voltages from all 8 directions in the 2 joysticks (2.4v with centered sticks and movement ranges from 0v to 4.8v when sticks are moved). I attached the Up/Down+TurtableRotate joystick harness connector to the INOP drive/steer joystick and the INOP joystick will operate the up/down and the turntable so I don't think we have a voltage or joystick failure. Performing a Joystick Calibration procedure on the INOP drive/steer joystick does nothing (no beeps etc) and the error codes flash continually while calibration is attempted. I removed the ALC-500 pcb and cleaned this had no affect on the issue. Any ideas for further isolation of the problem? I just hope I do not have to replace a $1500 ALC-500 pcb (part# 235411 with software S0816202) Thanks, Dale

Replies4
  1. #1redfabco4502022-06-12 20:07

    I would try a new joystick before you replace the board. 99% of the time when I have one that won’t program it’s the stick, not the board. The sticks are also very susceptible to water, if it’s been wet you can try to allow the stick to dry out and then perform the calibration.

  2. #2Txhayseed2022-06-14 20:40

    Try a new stick. If calibration failed its probably the stick. Very common. Alc board not so much. Maybe replace 2 of those a year. Joy sticks very often. They get used and abused. Guys think think its PAC man not a boom lift. Plus elements integrate into them very easily.

  3. #3DaleKramer2022-06-16 14:41

    Thanks guys, good suggestions. There were many issues and I will update this thread as to how I solved the problem when I have some more free time. The final clue that helped me solve the problem was when I discovered that at any time while the ACL-500 pcb has power applied to it AND there is an intermittent open/close on any joystick signal wire, then the ALC-500 erases its permanent calibration for that joystick and will continue to throw "joystick needs calibration" errors until someone calibrates the joystick again (even if the the volts read correctly when the ALC-500 boots up, I am sure this is a safety/liability section of code ). After I realized this and I was also able to figure out the exact joystick calibration sequence when you have a buzzer that never BEEPS, I was able to get it working again without buying a new ALC-500. I would not have had such a hard time isolating this if I had just fixed the buzzer first but that is still on my todo list...

  4. #4jdcon2023-06-19 16:24

    My 2001Genie S60 will start and run fine, but if I turn it off after running it for a 1 hour or so it will not restart for a 1-2 hours. It seems like w hen the machine is warm from running it will not restart until it cools down. I changed the relays ,started switch and starter. Any ideas Thanks