I am a new member of the forum. I have a 1995 Genie S-60 lift. When the machine is started from either the ground or basket, the Deutz engine starts without any problems. However, the volt meter reads zero and all controls are inoperative. If you gently hit the start switch again, the voltage meter jumps to 14 volts and all the controls are now operative. This maneuver used to work all the time. However, recently this maneuver doesn't always work and the machine controls will not operate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Replace the switch.. If I “gently” hit u w a screwdriver handle every day, you’d quit working too..
Thanks for the input. Both the ground and basket switch have been replaced.
Maine Farmer, did you ever get it fixed?
No. Thank you for asking. Any input would be appreciated.
Can you give a serial number. I want to look up the shematic and see if I can help
Thank you for offering to help. The serial number is 459. She is an old gal! I could send you the service manual if that would be helpful.
Could it possibly be an alternator issue? Computer may be looking for a signal from alternator to see if engine is running.
Genie site shows manuals for a "7 sided boom". Is yours in that catagory? I am assuming that means the boom is not rectangular.
If I am looking at the right manual and schematic. Contact Relay 2 (CR2 on the schematic) excites the alternator as well as powers the fuel shut of solenoid and other things. It also shows an ignition start module that sends a signal to that relay's coil to energize it. It may be labeled "fuel" in places. If the machine has a fuel shut off solenoid and runs and shuts off correctly, then that relay is probably working correctly. I think I would start by locating the excitor wire on the alternator. Putting a test light or meter on it and see if it is getting power when and after starting. If it is, then the problem is in the alternator. Engaging the start switch twice, (which I assume is what you meant by "hitting" the start switch a second time, in your original post,) could be a sign that voltage is dropping during the start and maybe not sending enough voltage to the excitor to engage it during start but does send enough after it is running. But now it won't do anything so I am guessing that the alternator is the problem. If you take the excitor wire off the alternator, get the machine running and jumper 12v to the excitor terminal on the alternator and it starts charging - then it is not the alternator and may be somewhere in the wiring. If it won't excite that way - the alternator is likely the problem
Hope I was looking at the correct info
Good morning 03hdrk. Your diagnostic plan sounds like a real possibility. As soon as I have finished gathering our winter heating wood, I will try the steps you have outlined. Just for clarification, I am not sure that our units boom is 7 sided. Looks more like ? 5 sided but I could be wrong. I have 2 schematics from 2 service manuals; part numbers 34476 and 29751. Both are listed for the 459 serial number. Which manual are you looking at?
I think it may well be and I am going to try 03hdrk's suggestions. Thanks for the suggestion.
Manual I am looking at is 34476
03hdrk. The alternator diagnostics check out OK. One thing I did discover this weekend was that if you held the start switch for a millisecond longer, the unit and volt meter respond appropriately and the high idle function works. I guess I should follow the old adage that "the enemy of good is perfect" and leave things alone at this point. Thanks again, and I will keep you up to date if things change.
Good deal.