Hi, 2003 Model with Honda engine, blue circuit boards, updated button overlays. Been using lift as follows: leave outriggers out when done, machine always level the next day. Also remove battery (new) daily to re-charge (charger missing from my unit). Had been running the engine whole time while in the air but that's a lot of gas plus a a lot of heat for that old engine. Started shutting down when in the air if I will be in one spot for a while, then restart when I want to move. Issue is the third or fourth time I want to restart from the platform the self test fails (with a shudder toward the end) and power reverts to battery only. Multiple stop/unstop's no help. Had my wife disconnect the battery, reconnect and try starting from ground control- same self test fail with a shudder. Can start the engine with engine key but control still does not recognize engine power. I can usually get the unit running the next day-sometimes as if nothing happpened, sometimes with multiple stop/unstops and pressing buttons. Been getting down on battery power but this is a confidence killer when home alone and I'm losing time to get this house painted. I've managed to fix every issue up the this point with the machine but this problem is beyond me. Any insights would be appreciated. TY
Interestingly, today it started normally, recognizing engine power and controls functioning. Decided to retract the outriggers and start over with the self level. Things went awry after raising one outrigger - all outriggers wanted to move at once if I hit the retract button 1st and the one I raised would not respond to any inputs. Ended up getting it to self level with that one outrigger up which put it up pretty high but it got that lone outrigger to move. Was able to lower it down after that. Maybe should have raised them all at once the first time? Anyway, got up in the air, stopped in one place for a few hours, started it up and moved to another spot for a short while while it ran then moved to another spot and stopped it for a couple hours. Wanted to move but would not start again, same as yesterday. Wondering if any of the above is normal operation? The concern though, is the shudder that happens just before it denies me engine control, like it's trying to do something but can't.
No go this morning, error 15. Pulled off cover and checked all circuit board connections, checked DIP switches (my beacon light comes on now), checked all external wiring connections I could find, tried multiple stop/unstops (all 3) and still no go. Pushed several of the most used buttons on the control panel in rapid succession, under the premise one might be stuck, then stop/unstop and--- success. Got up in the air and kept the engine running while at my first station for a couple hours. Moved over and shut it off for a couple hours and nope. Came down on battery power. Days ago, I had the same success from pushing buttons at the platform control which prompted me to replace that button overlay. It was weathered and peeling anyway. The main control buttons look fine. I think it is coincidence at this point that rapid button pushing got it going but I'll take it. It seems that someting other than a bad circuit board is causing my issues. I would need some real solid assurance that spending $2+k on a new one would solve everything. As a side note, engaging the stop button on the drive control does not prevent the lift from turning on. Any thoughts or experiences from fellow owners or technicians would sure be appreciated.
Installed new ground control button overlay. If you shop around, you can get an OEM for reasonably close to the cost of an aftermarket copy. Anyway, ground functions restored and can stop and restart from the platform at will. In the interim while waiting for the part, I unplugged the ground control buttons and keyed over to the platform and unstopped at the platform to turn on the machine. This allowed me engine power to go up but usually only allowed me battery power after I shut off engine while up. With planning, I was still able to get stuff done. Now, when I came down, I decided to retract the outriggers that had been out for a week or so. I need to go higher and I wanted to re- level. Those outriggers were a bear to retract, the machine shook violently and stalled the engine several times bringing them up. I haven't tried putting them back down yet. Maybe I'll create a new post about my experience with the outriggers since I got such a got so many responses to this issue, lol. Thanks for allowing me to talk my way through the control problem.