Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie z45/22 manlift only one wheel turns

farmuel ยท 2021-08-26 20:26

HI : Hope someone can help/ I picked up a Genie Z454/22 manlift at auction. I have most everything working other than only one drive wheel will spin. THe other one literally seems locked up THe one that moves i can nudge back and forth a little bit . THe other is frozen solid. I put it into free wheel mode and nothing. IU am hoping that the hub is just locked up from sitting a long time if its not that then it must be the motor ? Form what I can tell if hydraulic fluid is going to one wheel it should be goin to the other ie there are no valves etc that directs flow left or right it just looks like the directional valves are forward and reverse. I am going to pull the wheel tomorrow . ANyone have any other suggestions ?

Replies5
  1. #1skata2021-08-27 23:38

    Brake may be sticking? You download the service manual from genie website?

  2. #2farmuel2021-08-29 10:16

    Hi Yes I did thank you for the response. Below are the hydraulics the drive system is on the left. From what I can tell if one wheel is turning the other should be getting fluid as well - ie there are no right and left valves that I see just forward and reverse - I have it jacked up and took the wheel - now the wheel that will turn with hydraulics appropriately has the braking system engage. The wheel that will not turn with hydraulics is now freewheeling. This manlifts has a hub that you invert to turn into free wheeling if you need to pull it . Its almost as if its stuck in the free wheeling mode - my guess is I shoudl pull the hub first ?

  3. #3skata2021-08-29 12:49

    Is the hub center not popping out perhaps and is stuck in freewheeling? Sorry I've never taken one of those hubs apart, so not too familiar with it. But it should be pretty simple to open up.

  4. #4Grestil2021-08-31 11:59

    Skata is right about the hub center possibly being stuck. There is a pain underneath the little cover you takeoff and flip over to Freewheel The Hub that should pop out when re-engaging it. If the Hub free wheels and spins that tells you your hub bearings are not seized. If memory serves, the brake is sandwiched between the Hub and the drive motor and the brake and drive motor can be removed without removing the Hub. You can get the parts breakdown same place you got the service manual that'll tell you where all the pieces go. Removing the Hub cover and inspecting the internals would answer a great many questions. If I found no problems in the hub then I would remove the drive motor and see if it spins when you engage Drive. If it does then there's something wrong with the brake.

  5. #5farmuel2021-08-31 12:15

    Two things happened tire wa put on backwards and was bolted tight to frame so it could not turn - then after taking tire off it was freewheeling and pin was stuck all fixed thanks for your help ..