Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Getting into the business.

BSanderson94 ยท 2014-06-27 17:54

Well I finally got the paperwork and the acceptance letter from the college for the CAT program I will be attending in the fall. I would like some advice on how to best approach building my resume more because currently it is poor and I would like to have one that makes the employers interested in my skills even at my age. What do many dealerships and private repair facilities look for in fresh graduates that have a summer internship with a limited resume? I do not want to be expecting way to much when I am almost done and begin the job search. Like what is better to have on it and what kills you as a candidate instantly. I would like to pursue EPG, NGC, LPG and eventually complete engine and drive system rebuild/re manufacture in the future. I have a bunch of goals and ideas I would like to try but I will see how it goes first and find my niche in the field in the end. The last thing is what is the expected pay or reasonable starting pay for a new tech with two year A.A.S. degree 10 week dealer internship with a decent graduate resume? I have been told/heard starting $29-$31/USD hour then you make more with experience, skills, training and overtime. -Brad

Replies1
  1. #1BSanderson942014-07-07 15:00

    I have thought about what I want to do I am not a 9-5 person drive to work do the same old thing day in day out for 20 years lets say. I would like to try to find a employer that I have a home base tentatively speaking but the work is more one month in Utah, Two months in Montana, and like four months in Canada I do realize that doing said travel with work is high burn out and all. I mean working between the East coast, West coast and Canada honestly that is my dream for the next 10-15 years then slow down maybe just maybe. I am trying to get over my fear of heights to do windmill stuff also another 20-25LBS more and go skydiving should do the trick. For every weakness it becomes a new strength.