I remember being in my teens thinking 40 was old. Now I'm over halfway through my 40s, and I no longer think that is old. But where are these little aches and pains coming from? My latest one is almost laughable. I have tennis leg. Never played tennis before, perhaps I should start. The act of moving my foot on an off the throttle a million times a snow storm while doing the back and forth parking lot shuffle in the loader has aggravated the back of my knee to the point where I can hardly walk for about 3 days after a storm. I knew I liked plowing roads with the grader better.
I can relate after 20 years behind the wheel. Lower back, right shoulder, ankle/foot. Probably similar pains leg and foot wise. Ah well. So far it's been worth it I reckon. I can't do the back to back 500-600 mile days like I used to.
I used to be like both of you. Now I have to stop and pee often enough that I don't get so stiff.
I was in my late 30;s early 40's when I started getting "tennis elbow" from turning wrenches.. The pain got so bad, I had to go get shots.. The REAL KICKER was> when I couldn't reel in a prize winning fish [pain] & lost a tourney.. That was on a Saturday or Sunday.. I was in the Dr. office Monday morning.. lol I didn't mind not being able to turn wrenches, but when you start messin around w/ my fishin'.. we got a problem.. lol
& watch out for that BACK.. I preach & preach about it.. after going thru what I went thru.. I don't wish that on anyone.. 2 surgeries in 2 years & stuck on pain killers for the rest of my life.. not kool..
We just had a big dump of snow, and I am sitting home trying to give this knee a rest. Feels strange not being out there. My 7 year old just got up, no school fresh snow and daddy's home. Guess I know what I'll be doing later.
Good for you, I rarely ever get to enjoy the snow with my kids, always out plowing it and fighting it to the point the last thing I want to do is play in it when I get home! I am getting close to 40 and I am noticing all those things you guys are talking about, not a good sign.
She loves snowshoeing, but it has been a terrible winter. So much ice, and hard packed snow.
I know what you mean about the little aches and pain, but they aren't little anymore. Like you, I thought 40 was old. I'm now 64 and think 80 is old. Heck, I call people "Old" who are younger than me. When I was in my late 30s, I felt like I was 18, and thought I could lift anything without help. I'm paying for it now. When I traveled(following pipeliners), I had to service/maintain the equipment after they'd shut down(at the end of the day). Everyone had left the job sites with no one around to help. So, I had to do things on my own. Take care of those aches and pain; and don't let them go unattended, because they'll bite you in the when you're older.
That seems to be the way with company service techs. The two guys here run 7 days a week and 14 to 16 hour days. The younger guy has taken on sanding the parking lots this winter. He comes in at 3am, does the drive around, sands what needs to be done, then back to the shop for the day. Gonna burn himself out, or that beautiful young wife of his is gonna get tired of being alone
I figured that out a few years ago. You remember all that stuff you did back when you were young, and you thought it was ok because it didn't hurt? Well, it does. Now.
Aches and pains? What the he** are you guys crying about? How about locking your pickup up to leave it running while you quick run into the parts store. Its thirty below outside. You get your parts go back to your truck and can't remember the code numbers to get back inside. The aches and pains I can deal with.
It's called old timers apparently Grandpa.
You guys crack me up. Let's clarify things a bit. You know you're old when you wake up in the morning and you're stiff everywhere but where you need to be.
Lost that years ago BladeManBob. Me...I wake up in the morning and crawl out of bed with sounds effects!
You young whipper-snappers always complain. I am 78 (I think)
I vaguely remember back in the day waking up in the morning so ready for action not even the crack of dawn was safe. Nowadays a few coffees, coupla cigs and a read of HEF on the veranda before her indoors who must be obeyed steps out is pretty darn good.
I'm 66. I've been Blessed with very good health. I haven't been the most diligent about promoting healthy habits. But I try. I think I've slowed down a lot. The other day I bumped into a friend who's a week older than I am. Visited for 15 minutes. The whole time I was amazed at how old he was...... When I was 55 I deployed to SW Asia for 508 days. I travelled all over Iraq, Afghanistan and Northern Africa. I lived out of a rucksack. Some flights required my gear be weighed. I carried 120 lbs of gear. Slept on Helicopter Landing Pads many times so I wouldn't miss the flight. Flew thousands of miles back and forth across Iraq in Blackhawks and Chinooks. Convoyed a lot in Afghanistan. What an adventure. Was completely physically and mentally exhausted when I got home. Thank God every day that I experienced and survived it. If a man has good health he has nothing to complain about.
Not my country, but thanks for serving. Mechanic here, and a guy I went to high school with, are both native so they have dual citizenship. They were both in the United States Marines and were in Desert Storm. Said serving in the Corp was one of the greatest honors of their lives
Thank you for your support. I was Deployed a total of 4 years in Combat Zones scattered over 30 years. Started in Vietnam. Was also Deployed for Desert Storm. Was a great life. My opinions of Humanity are a bit scarred because of it all. But I try to be positive. Again, good health is priceless. My Mother died at 94, still in good health, simply died of old age. She has established a pretty high standard for me to follow. My blade job is part time. I really enjoy it. But I think I'll give it up at 70. I'm not going to be the "old fool" that everyone wishes would stay out of the grader.
I think people get their wires crossed when it comes to military support. Regardless of your politics, or weather you think your country belongs in a situation or not. The troops deserve our respect and support. Politics has all but gutted Canada's military, and it has become the butt of many jokes, but they sign up to keep my family safe, and I support them unconditionally.
Well stated. A man doesn't have to put on a uniform to support his country.
What don't hurt don't work. Mike
Good one Mike!!!! For me it's not been the physical decline, it's the mental decline. When the weather forcast is snow I dread it. 10 years ago I relished it. Depending on the storm I might go to bed at noon. Sleep until 9 or 10 waiting for the wind to lay. Then get up and push the rest of the night and all the next day. Have done 16 hrs straight many, many times. Now I dread the thought of that. Fortunately for me my young neighbor is "chomping at the bit". If we get a big snow I'll push daytime, he'll push nighttime. We'll both be happy.