I am getting ready to purchase my first motor grader! It's not new and has a few bugs, but they can all be fixed. What I am buying is an Adams Motor Grader Model #660 with a serial number of 5722. I have been trying to find any info regarding this grader and not comming up with much. What I have found is that it has a 190 hp cummins. I also read that Adams was comparable to Cats in their day. But if anyone has any more info into these Adams machines would be greatly appreciated. For example: years made, available parts, etc. What I have looked at on the machine: ring gear is in remarkably good shape. It has a 14' blade on it. Tires are 35 - 50%. No major leaks. Have to shut fuel off manually or crankcase will fill with fuel, which I plan on fixing. As soon as I get some picts, I will attach them. But any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave
Well unfortunately for as big and popular a company as Adams was there is precious little info on the net about them......I would guess 660 a 50's/60's model.......other brands may have shared similar parts depending on what you run into needing.
Adams became Wabco ,check this out ledsel is a wabco veteran, very knowledgeable I know nothing about them, my graders are Galion and Austin-Western Good luck
If it has the Cummins engine it is probably a sixties model. Filling the crankcase with fuel is usually caused by the electric solenoid bypass screw being turned in. If you look on the top of the fuel pump there should be a single wire going to the solenoid and a thumb screw under the solenoid. Bypass mode is with the screw turned all the way in. The solenoid wasn't expensive way back when I worked on those. You can usually call a Cummins hot line and they can tell you how to test it to see if it is OK. As far as the grader goes I don't know much about them but seem to remember most of the components were off the shelf from common suppliers. Is yours hydraulic or knuckle buster?
On the sixties Cummins with the PT fuel system they have to have a float tank if the fuel tank is above the engine to stop the fuel. It works like a carbeuretor bowl. It is common if that tank starts leaking to just remove it and turn the fuel valve off everytime you stop the engine. If the screw is turned in on the fuel solenoid the engine won't stop with the switch.
See photo.