So Im a junior at Indiana state for Construction Management, but I've been on the forum since my early teens working on backhoes and dozers. I love heavy equipment and always thought big civil jobs would be a awesome job. Im from clinton, IN and have friends from white Construction. They did alot of wind farm construction over the globe and alot of bridges. I need to start looking at internships, and I dont want to waste a chance to get a food in the door. If you were graduating in Construction management, would you have any advice in general, or a field I should look into? I have alot to learn in whatever I do, but I am willing to get dirty and work. Thanks
Bump. Neill
I'd start with White Construction. Friends and all. Cut your teeth there. It's been my experience if you are put in the field working on jobsites after a year or two you'll start bumping into familiar faces on-site and that's the beginning of you starting to network your way into other avenues with other outfits. If white is really some friends of yours they will never hold a grudge if you leave them to better yourself monetarily.
Just remember you have 2 ears and 1 mouth. So listen twice as much as you talk. Be early, one minute late is still late. Try not to say the word can't, someone else usually can. Be a team player.:my2c
Having managed my share of employees and helpers I will tell you what I have found to be true for me. Willingness to work and learn are by far the most important attributes. Followed closely by showing up on time, early is better. Also, if you don't know. Say so. Don't bs your way through anything. Ask any helper I ever had. Late, you're done. Talk back, goodbye. Try to tell me how it's done, see ya. One was the owner's nephew. He lasted, oh I don't know, four or five hours. I told him to call somebody and get picked up or he'd have a wrench impression in his skull. Work hard, listen carefully, be punctual and admit what you don't know and you'll be off to a great start. I would gladly teach an energetic young man or woman everything I can if he/she showed me they wanted to learn. Hell I'd put them up and through school if the right one showed up.
I think you'll succeed and do well if you don't treat your employees like junkyard treats his. Be patient, but not too patient. Be willing to listen, learn and definitely admit when you don't know how to do something. If you are put into a management role, don't be the typical, redneck boss that nobody likes. You know, one that threatens his subordinates with a wrench to the skull? If I talk down to my guys, I expect them to give it right back to me, I'm not your "Daddy." You can talk to me the way that I just spoke to you. If I disrespect you, I'll expect to be disrespected in return. We're all grown men on a jobsite and we'll treat each other and act as such. So, don't listen to everybody's advice. Some people just have that "Superior God" complex and there's no changing that. Anyway, good luck with whatever you may fall into.
Superior God? Redneck nobody likes? Nice passive aggressive jab at somebody you don't even know. Ever heard of sarcasm? I gave good advice mixed with a little story and that's what you pick up on? Who here hasn't had a bad day or exaggerated a little about how things went on a job. Typical Texan. Junkyard
Others have offered some good advice that I might repeat. Like don't think you know everything just because you have a piece of paper from some school. Don't say "That's n ot the way they taught us in school!" But if you say something like "What about trying this?" once in a while should not sound too bad. Don't be a suck up. Don't get upset if you seem to get all the **** jobs, someone has to do them! If told you need to wear some safety equipment, like glasses, hard hat or gloves do it without being reminded every day.
Wow! It wasn't hard to understand what Junkyard was saying, especially concerning a relative of an owner. A lot of relatives figure they're entitled and will never be let go. Sometimes a boss can be wrong and perhaps needs to give an apology but talking back and disrespecting the boss could lead to being unemployed or always getting the crappy jobs.
Don't be a pushover of a boss, but having a little bit of humility will do you well too, if someone has a idea on how to get a out of the ordinary job done take a minute and listen, nobody has all the answers. Same with being late, I think Junkyard was being sarcastic, but if my help shows up late a couple times a year and has a good reason for it than so be it, if they can let me know before hand thats even better, finding help now a days isn't that super easy, I'm not going to fire someone for being late once every 2 months... there aren't that many people wanting to do this work.
Mom says sarcasm is my native language. I think my wife and kids would agree. I'm probably hard to take most of the time.... All excellent advice guys. I'm glad my post wasn't a total loss!! Junkyard.
I'm not in construction but my friend's grandson was in your boat, well we have a mutual friend who works at one of the largest concrete companies around, he's in design but was able to help get the newly graduated lad a job and things are working out well. Talk to companies you know locally, someone that might know you, use the friends and family network if there are any leads, you might find an awesome inroad. Wind farm construction, sounds like you have yourself a lead there, try a few swimming holes until you find one that you really like.