Another stoopid setup by stoopid engineers (designers). On my 314E, 325F, and 930K machines, there is a screen inline filter (525-6205), to protect the priming pump from debris. In someone's infinite wisdom, in addition to having a 1/2" inlet and 3/8" outlet and being metal (opaque so as to not see whether it's contaminated or not), it is also mounted vertical so that when it is wrestled from its hoses, the debris drops back into the supply hose. I've decided that it should be closer to horizontal and not be opaque. To that end, I changed both barbs (#6 ORB) on the shutoff valve and installed a Baldwin BF7850 (3/8" inlet & outlet) along with a length of 3/8" hose. I dont recall the service interval (2000hrs???) but, having had both an excavator and wheel loader go down early due to this screen being contaminated, I've had to change these every filter service, adding an extra $41 and pair of skinned knuckles every time. I can add a parts list later.
Next is to install a shutoff on this line so as to not have to service with a 1/5 tank of fuel or less (that's what what Cat's bulletin says). If I don't pinch this hose, fuel never stops running when the fuel filters are removed.
I thought that was the reason vise grips were invented.?
For others that aren't "in the know", that is a fuel return line. The fuel feed does have a shutoff valve (the red handle below the 525-6205 filter in that last image).
Also updated my first 314ELCR to the same.