Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Getting seat time?

IanSVT ยท 2010-02-14 22:55

Hello, I'm an IT geek who basically drives past backhoes, but that's about as close as I get. I've always wanted to learn how to operate a backhoe since before I can remember. Hell, I've even offered to run a plow truck at work when it snows. I'm not looking for a career change, but I'd like to learn anyway. I know a few people who have access to machines, but they're all contractors, and giving me access to a machine would probably mean they're giving up (billable)work time or I'd generally just be getting in the way so I'm hesitant to ask them. One general contractor foreman who is doing a large capital project at work has a 580SM on site. I hustled up and got a phone line ran for him to an elevator and I joked that he can get me in the backhoe since I got the job done quickly. He said he'd make it happen, but I don't want to bug him about it. So basically, any suggestions on how to learn some basic operating on a hoe? I'm be happy just doing some yard dog stuff schlepping dirt around if needed and I'm not getting in anyone's way too much. Thanks fellas.

Replies1
  1. #1Ozz2010-02-15 00:49

    Learn how to do it. No sarcasm,If I need advice on running a hoe, I ask my uncle who's been running them for 30 years. Ask a really experienced op. BTW, I like 4 stick and shuttle clutch setup on my hoe, but that's just personal opinion . Anyway,take some time and if the contactor has on in the yard, ask if you can run it. Do you have friend with property that needs to cleaned up? Go 50/50 on a rent to clean his property up, its a win-win scenario. he gets his land cleared (Which in my opinion is really a track loader's or dozer's job:beatsme)