Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

getting started

lucasd97 ยท 2016-02-28 01:28

I'm hoping you guys can help a feller out! I'm thinking on buying a log truck , like a f750 day cab ,short wheel base and putting a logging set up on the back , just some standards built on a flat bed. I'm wanting to haul logs for other people /companies. Just me and my truck . I'm located in southwest VIRGINIA and the eastern Kentucky side. Logging is booming down here right now . can anyone help me out an tell me if I'm going to make good money an have work. Theirs a lot of other truckers doing it just wandering if I can do it an make money. I'm 18 yrs old so any advice ?

Replies8
  1. #1hetkind2016-02-28 05:18

    I would talk to the loggers and see if they need extra trucks and drivers first. I am in NE Tennessee and the loggers don't seem to be any busier than usual. Howard

  2. #2lucasd972016-02-28 11:10

    well Howard thanks for the advice and reply. And yes it seems to be picking up around here, at least I'm seeing a lot more of it than usual

  3. #3Jonas3022016-02-28 12:44

    Is that the kind of truck they run in your area? a 750 seems light won't get much of a load unless there is a niche market of hard to access wood? the real buzzkill is getting commercial insurance at your age Best of luck to you

  4. #4lucasd972016-02-28 12:55

    Howard, well it seems their is a lot of log trucks in my area . lots of tractor and trailors and lots of tandems to. But their are a lot of small logging crews to, running a 2 or 3 man crew an just using a dozer and maybe another small piece of equipment or 2. So I see a lot of 750 sized trucks around ,really just hauling for anyone and everyone. I'm hoping to get started myself and a mid sized truck seems to be making the $ rightnow

  5. #5old12016-02-28 19:19

    I know what you are asking, and trying to do; but around here, that size of truck is usually used and owned by a 1 or 2 person family logging crew. They can keep costs down by doing small jobs, the bigger guys won't do. Yes they make money; but they cut it really close. Usually using older equipment; and working for themselves. There may be some hired trucks; but not many. These loggers usually, cut billets. Now, there are hauling companies, in fact one just hauled out of our farm; but that hauler has a tri-axle w/loader. He hauls for about a dozen independent loggers. They call him and he picks up the load and hauls it to wherever the logger wants. That trucker does make good $$$$. Works about 12 hours a day when he has to; as there aren't always loads to get. Good Luck, You have to start somewhere.

  6. #6lucasd972016-02-29 02:28

    Yes thank you so much for saying something positive and that's what I'm wanting to do , haul for a few independent loggers an get my name out their .hopefully I can make some money .

  7. #7Former Wrench2016-03-01 16:35

    My advise would be to get a real truck and go heavier. Think Kenworth, Peterbilt, Western, Mack, and along those lines. With a bigger truck you can always add a pup if the need is there. What you might save in weight, you will lose with repairs and running peddle to the metal with something too small.

  8. #8Wes J2016-03-01 16:53

    Just remember that weight limits and axle configurations vary widely from state to state.