After 31 years on the wrench, I am giving it up at the first of the year. This profession has been good to me and have enjoyed the journey, but it has worn my body down. I am sure I will still do some tinkering, but will not be under a deadline that's got sure.
Hope you enjoy semi retirement. LOL. I am sure people will bring you plenty of projects to tinker with. A good mechanic is always in demand.
Congratulations
Congrats. Will you be selling off any tools or equipment? Asking for a friend.
Congrats! You going to stay in the business in some fashion or another? Local Cat dealer had a mechanic who after many years as one of their shop mechanics decided to stop the wrench work and he transferred over to the parts desk. Never thought to ask him how he liked that end of the business but know he was one of the best parts-men I ever dealt with. If you had a problem, say with the governor on an injection pump, he could tell you if it was something that could be repaired in frame and just how to do it and order you every little part needed!
I have not kept this a secret from my help. One thinks he wants to pick up the torch and become self employed. I promised to help with technical issues only. If he wants to rent the shop I will keep it , if not it's going up for sale. I will keep the parts business, but it already operates itself and does not need me on a daily basis. forestrypartsresource.com . I started the used parts business some years ago to hopefully carry the load in the later years and it has done so and allowed this slow down . I still need some income to maintain health insurance and such. I am 47 , so quite a few years out from social security.
Kshansen, I agree that the best parts men have service experience.