Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gland torque

onehandman1 ยท 2020-03-28 16:31

Good afternoon, I wanted to thank everyone for the help thus far. Putting the new seals on the swing cylinder was easy. I was a transmission technician for 10 years, so it was like riding a bicycle rolling the seals in place. My next question, what should the torque on the gland be? Its on a case 580 Super M series 2. I used my 1/2inch drive rachet and without much effort got it 1/2inch past where the 2 half moons line up to put the little bolt in to hold it in place. Do I back it off, or leave torque on it? There is no way I will get another revolution out of the gland. Thanks! Paul

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2020-03-28 17:22

    When a gland tightens that far past the lock screw position - I always opt to tighten the gland & toss the screw. Reason being that if you refit the screw & the gland is loose - the threads in the tube & gland nut will load up each time the cylinder goes on & off pressure & especially, will load the threads when the piston bottoms out on the gland at full cylinder cycle. Eventually the threads will fail & the cylinder will spit out the gland....... As far as torque goes - I use a 3' pipe on a 3/4" drive adjustable gland tool & give it a single jerk to tighten - not too much - as they can be difficult to loosen in the future.

  2. #2onehandman12020-03-30 09:02

    Thank you alrman, that is what I was thinking, but wanted to check in.