Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GM 6.5 Diesel Wont Start

AmericanLandMgt ยท 2011-03-05 12:34

My service truck is a 94 GMC 3500 with a 6.5 diesel engine in it. One day it stalled a few times and then finally stalled and woudnt start. Ive had this truck to several mechanics and nobody can figure out whats wrong with it. I know this page is mostly about big rigs and such but I thought one of you guys might have some experience with this motor. Ive put a new Injection pump, lift pump, crank censor, glow plugs in it and I have taked all the grounds off and cleaned or replaced them. Still the injection pump is not pumping any fuel. I even thought the new pump might have been bad so I pulled it off and sent it back to be tested and it came back fine. I have purged the fuel lines and made sure the injection pump is getting fuel but when I crack the injector lines no fuel comes out. Ive stumped everybody that I have taken it to and its starting to seem hopeless. The truck ran great untill it started stalling out that day so I dont think its any sort of massive internal problem. If you guys have any insight I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Justin

Replies7
  1. #1HSV1272011-03-05 15:19

    Hi AmericanLandMgt, I've had this problem on my two GM 6.5's sounds like the driver for the injector pump (the black box on the side of injector pump) not sure if your new pump came with this or not? Also would check the plug that goes into the driver, and can you hear the lift pump working when you turn the key on? I've always had trouble bleeding the fuel system on mine, it seem to take forever to bleed up. Hope thats some help, good luck.

  2. #2EGS2011-03-05 15:45

    Do you have "red" (off-road) fuel in it? We had the same problem with some of our plow trucks. Apparently there is a meter that can't pick up the die in the fuel. Also check the oil pressure switch, that can cause fuel problems as well.

  3. #3BAD5oh2011-03-05 16:07

    x2 on the driver

  4. #4bushmechanic2011-03-05 18:01

    Do not put the factory standyne driver box back on it. Get an aftermarket box. Move the box to the top of the intak manifold. lenthen the wires and you will be set

  5. #5Water Doc2011-03-05 20:20

    Does the lift pump run when you have the key on? In '94-95 GM powered the lift pump through the oil pressure switch. There is also a fuse for the lift pump on the p/s firewall under a T shaped cover. Us crafty flat rate guys would jump power through that fuse from the powered stud also under that cover to bleed the air out of the fuel filters when serviced. When you re and re'd the pump, did you rough set the timing and put the 3 bolts back in the front gear? I have had a couple towed in when the customer attempted to do the job themselves but either couldent get the old pump out or jammed the pump back in with the locating pin in one of the bolt holes. Typically the stalling is caused by a driver module failure. So if your new pump dident come with one, i would get my hands on a tester.

  6. #6FSERVICE2011-03-06 22:25

    i have a 97 i have had the same problem if it has the "black box" get the new upgrade grey box also are you getting fuel to the filter? i have had the problem of taking forever to get fuel to the pump take off one of the injector lines and crank the motor you will finally get the air out Does your truck have the filter drain on the front of the motor small neddle valve T handle if so that will also let the air out if you have fuel to the filter then check the oil pressure switch it is on the back of the motor by fuel filter are you getting any codes? keep us posted on the outcome

  7. #7bushmechanic2011-03-07 21:36

    Do not get the gray box or black box from standyne. Buy an aftermarket box. The standyne ones are junk junk. They dont even make them anymore Diesel care performance sells a great little one 1 800 961 9290 part# HCC081215 got one for my truck love it