Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GMK 7550 goes over

mekon ยท 2014-08-23 12:11

Not very much information about this yet. Fortunately the operator survived. http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/20767/

Replies13
  1. #1lantraxco2014-08-23 12:56

    Seems to be a common theme, the last couple large crane accidents I have read about, part of the counterweight has smashed the back of the cab. I know we all hate more rules, but I think that knowing this sort of accident happens we need some sort of securing system for counterweight blocks, or an armored wall that diverts them off the sides if they do come loose? Glad the operator survived!

  2. #2David4272014-08-23 13:02

    Wow, can't believe he survived that cab getting sheared in half. Never mind that he's already been released from the hospital. The wind will get you every time during a critical lift.

  3. #3lantraxco2014-08-23 13:17

    Yeah, they build wind farms where it's windy, eh? One gust as you say and with that much boom on, a couple degrees too far and she's doomed. I wonder if they were just setting the crane up?

  4. #4td25c2014-08-24 00:18

    Hate to see that . Got outside the load chart I reckon ?

  5. #5lantraxco2014-08-24 00:37

    I looked at some varying pictures, videos and news reports. Seems like they were still rigging the jib maybe, supposedly was not picking a load when she went over. Maybe made a mistake getting the boom and jib erect? One report said a safety system malfunctioned.

  6. #6td25c2014-08-24 00:52

    Sounds like they got outside of the load chart .

  7. #7FSERVICE2014-08-26 21:20

    I don't see anything laying on the ground that was being lifted!!! makes a guy think someone set something up wrong... I think the crane makers should do a better job of counterweight attachment/rentention.. granted if they are kept in the upright position they don't fall off but still!!!!

  8. #8td25c2014-08-28 20:59

    Don't see anything on the hook either . I agree something set up wrong , not enough counter weight for boom extended ? Kind of reminds me of this thread HeavyEquipmentForums ! Biggest Grove I have worked around is a GMK 5240 . Takes a crew about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to set it up with a full set of counter weights at most job sites . Never have had a chance to look at a chart on that rig . I imagine it's somewhat complex depending on how much boom is out with jib & counter weight needed to support it for the lift . Be interesting to see what happens with the damaged GMK 7550 . Probably fix it ?

  9. #9lantraxco2014-08-28 21:05

    One news report said something about a malfunctioning safety system. I have to wonder if the operator didn't plug in the right options for jib length, etc... ? Crane can measure load, but it ain't smart enough to know what the radius is unless you tell it you added something to the boom?

  10. #10td25c2014-08-28 21:16

    I could see that happening lantraxco . The crew that I work around with the GMK 5240 still pulls a tape measure on the radius & puts paint on the ground where to set up . I do the same with my TM 250 Grove . I got fooled the other day setting a grain dryer . We were positioned for setting tubing coming from the top of a grain leg . Got that done then customer says he needs the dryer repositioned ( turned 90 degrees ) & moved closer to the leg . Well I tried it a 50 foot radius and had one out rigger get light , Hard to judge weight on some items . So we backed off & moved the crane a little closer @ 30 foot radius and set it with no problem .

  11. #11old-iron-habit2014-08-28 21:37

    I wonder if this is the same 7550 they tipped about 5 to 6 years ago. On that one the crew got permission to walk the machine out of a tight area with the boom up. The procedure is to have the outriggers fully extended lightly touching the ground with the luffing jib folded down. In that particular case the crew was authorized to pull the outriggers in on one side to clear a project trailer. The asphalt road collapsed under the wheels and the 7550 went over on its side crushing the conference room in the trailer along with two pickups. The media made a big deal about how lucky it was that the people had just left the conference room. Actually their safety plan required the area had to be evacuated of all people while the crane was moved with the boom up. No operator in the crane cab, only the carrier. Turned out to be a good safety plan. Dawes was scheduled on our project in Eau Claire, WI next with that crane to set some 110,000 lb. auditorium beams for us. They ended up hiring another crane company to bring in a big Krupp.

  12. #12dbl6122014-08-28 22:14

    that old girl is a hoss of a crane for its size. back then everything was 16 oz. to the lb. nice rigging setup also with spreaders and softeners.

  13. #13td25c2014-08-28 22:40

    Good eye dbl612 ! I feel the same way . That size rig is the best bang for the dollar for most of my customers jobs . We bought two more rigs just like it for future work .