I'm new at this forum, so bare with me. I'm trying to get a skid steer business started with a 2004 bobcat s185 that I've been looking at. I currently work for the local county so I have dirt work experience. I'm just wondering what things I should watch out for and any other advice on this business. It would just be part time at night and on the weekends unless something crazy happend and it turns out I could make a better living being self employed. I'm thinking of doing some post holes, light excavation, erosion control, drainage, pretty much anything with a skid steer. Thanks
you will need some insurance and a workers comp policy that does not cover you the owner but you still need it to get paid from any contractor. Give your customer's a good job at a fair price and you will always have work just don't let them beat you down you are in it to make money. make sure to put some back for repairs and rainy days. a 2004 is 10 years old so at least expect some repairs. I am still running a case 90xt that I started with in 1997 it cleans up around my crushing plant. anybody can get a skid steer and every body thinks that they can run one so you have to do something a little different and better to stay ahead of the competition.
You're doing nearly the same thing I am! I'm doing it full time though. I'm offering clean-up,grading, site prep, auger work, and some landscaping. Since I just started up I really don't have a lot of advice. All I can tell you is get your business plan in order first. I did mine kinda backwards and it has been tough to get going, but i'm getting there! Get the word out of what you are offering. Find out what others are charging for the services you are offering and come up with a good business plan from there.
I have been doing the "part-time" Bobcat work for years. Heres what I can tell you, have good insurance, be honest with your customer, follow the laws, allways call miss-dig before you dig, dont be afraid to charge what you feel is the price you need. And my biggest rule is dont be afraid to no-quote and walk away, there are a ton of guys out there that are full time and have bigger equipment that can do the difficult jobs. I pass up more work that what I do take. I simply dont need the hassle of the big headache jobs. Another issue that I always run into is the customer that calls me at 6:00 pm on a sunday and wants me on the job 6:00 am Monday, I then have to explain that I cant do that due to my real full-time job. I only do the Bobcat work after hours and on weekends. Most customers do understand but once in a while I get the guy that just demands action. Sorry... I pass.
Some people think you're just standing by waiting for them to call so you can come right over. It doesn't work that way.