I have a single axle dump that I mostly use to haul stuff I need or move equipment. Been getting some requests to haul some gravel, what’s a fair rate to charge? By the ton; by the hour? I’m hauling in southwest Va, got some steep hills here and some of my destinations are around 65 miles one way. I usually stick around the 8 ton mark, but will haul up to 10 at a time.
Call your local quarry for a quote and work off of that.
The local quarry here is charging $11 a ton to haul
Where I live in eastern OH, they charge about 16.40 per ton for gravel and around 7.00 for delivery per ton. My property is about 30 miles one way from the quarry.
$11 a ton to go how far from the quarry?
Roughly 60 mile
60 miles one way? for $11/ ton? I don't think you can compete with that, especially only hauling 8ton at a time. $88 for a 120 mile round trip? You better have a different source of income, because that's not a profit center. I'd let the quarry haul it.
60 miles round trip or heaven forbid one way at $11 a ton hauling 8 tons per trip will put you in the poor house Joe. For instance the current job we are on the quarry is charging $4 a ton for 25 ton loads and the round trip is 15 miles or so... The trucks can load, scale, travel, dump and be back in the quarry in less than an hour so that's $100 an hour for a tri-axle dump which is a little above going rate of $90 here. You need to figure your hourly costs and what you want to make hourly, then calculate your haul rate based on distance and the time it takes to make a delivery.
If you were doing it for yourself, that’s one thing. But for the amount of material and the pricing of the quarry, it doesn’t make sense.
The $11 a ton is based on a 15ton load. The quarry won’t deliver anything less
$11 x 15 = $165 per load. 120 miles ain't happening in two hours in hilly country. Be lucky to load, unload, scale, and everything in 2 1/2 hours, maybe closer to three. $55/ hour? Or you can figure it by the mile and that's only $1.35/ mile. You can't compete with the quarry delivery price. (they make their money selling the rock) I guess if you spend your spare time and $$$ on hookers and cocaine - then driving your dump truck would be the cheaper hobby.
Really hard to compete with only a single axle dump. Short hauls less than 1/2 an hour away to acreage's or somewhere that doesn't need a full load might be feasible. You can charge a little more because you'll deliver smaller loads than a full tandem.
Semi dumps charge $85 hour here illinois.
There might be niche at 8 tons and you can charge more but if the quarry is charging 11 bucks for 15 tons I am sure you can order less your just paying and just paying a minimum of 15 tons I dont buy that they haul any amount of material for 11 bucks 65 miles one way unless they pay nothing for drivers Around here a truck that hauls 25 ton can get 90ish an hour a bob tail gets 70 an hour neither one makes enough money to justify owning one cost of operating is to high dump trucks are typically a losing buissness for profit
The key here is to be bringing to to your own jobs maybe while pulling your skidsteer there or something like that Also the spots where only your single axle truck can get into then just charge your hourly rate problaly between 80-90 an hour
Last fall I was paying $4.50/mile (one way) for end dump loads. I'm sure it will be more this fall.
The quarry I got the quote from has a few of its own trucks, that may be how they are coming out charging what they do. I thought it was pretty cheap myself considering the distance and terrain.
Around here, it is $240-$260 for 15 tons of crusher run delivered pretty much anywhere in the phone area code. There are several quarries to choose from, some better than others. If I were to take my dump trailer to the nearest one, it is 7.50/ton and I can haul 4-5 tons. It takes 3 trips for me to equal one tandem axle. My dump trailer doesn't tail off the gravel nearly as well as a true dump truck. Considering the price of fuel, the two additional trips, the time on a tractor or skid steer to spread it, it just isn't feasible for me with a smaller capacity.
7.50 a ton is a really good price..one quarry here charges 11 a ton for crush run and 12 for 3/4 clean…there is another quarry down the road a piece that is 9 for crush run and 10 for 3/4 clean…the place charging 9 has a portable crusher and seems as though there gravel isn’t as consistent in size as the other quarry that has stationary mill….the crush run from the portable mill is like dirt
The only reason I have a truck is to move my equipment and pick up material for my jobs when I don't want to wait for the truckers schedule to work with mine. Constantly having people asking me to bring them a load of this or a couple yards of that. My response is it's cheaper to have the pit trucks haul, or tell them they won't want to wait until I can get it in my schedule.
Here, to buy 1 inch minus scalped material direct from our quarry, and haul it with your own truck is 11 bucks a tonne or 1.1 ton. Our quarry is about an hour drive to the middle of nowhere. The same material delivered by one of our trucks is 15 bucks a tonne. The same material that has been hauled from our quarry to the asphalt plant yard, picked up by you is like 16.50 a tonne. I'm guessing you pay 1.50 to reload it at the plant. Delivered from the plant inside the city is 18.00 a tonne. After that it starts to go up as you get farther outside the city. I think washed pea stone, like they use for playgrounds is like 30 bucks a tonne. When I hauled road salt 15 years ago, it was 60 a tonne. Hate to see what they pay for it now.