Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Going to Conexpo?

skata · 2020-02-29 15:38

I'm having second thoughts on going. With all this virus scare. Plus there's no gold lot this year. That lot is under construction for a new hall, so they're using a lot a few blocks away. Kinda sucks. Plus I don't see jcb there this year. I wonder why? They usually have a great show. Oh, and I'd imagine the Chinese booths will be empty. Lol

Replies71
  1. #1f311fr12020-02-29 18:35

    The Chineese and Italian booths would be enough for me to not go.

  2. #2JD955SC2020-03-01 08:39

    Don’t let the fearmongering get to you...

  3. #3oceanobob2020-03-01 09:46

    Didnt go to the concrete show 'cause I thought I would go to ConExpo, but work schedule looked heavy (and it is moreso than I figured) so I didn't complete the application.....as to the latest bad news, I recently spoke to a vendor sales rep and 'the fear' is making them wonder if the attendees will be less although all the vendors will likely remain with their plans to be there. I have previously gone to this tradeshow a couple times and it is really worthwhile if you can spare a day or so away - really appreciated the fact the show carries over to Saturday (which lately has become a work day LOL) such that one can skip work on Friday and get an extra day to look around.

  4. #4Tags2020-03-01 10:40

    I'm going with a couple of other guys, the flu kills tens of thousands of people here in the US every year and no one gets too worked up over that....I'm not discounting the seriousness of the bug going around now, but I don't think you should stop doing things because of it. I agree with Oceanbob, Saturday is probably the best day to go, hardly any crowds at all.

  5. #5Olu01042020-03-01 12:26

    I think you should stay back for now and lets see how the virus thing is gonna be contained

  6. #6CM19952020-03-01 12:33

    The wife and I haven't decided yet. We've got a room at MGM and airfare.

  7. #7Tags2020-03-01 13:37

    It is hard to decide what to do, but being that I work a ton every year and this show comes around every three years and I don’t go away much with friends and I don’t have trip insurance for airfare and hotel it would be hard to swallow an $1800 hit. It would also be hard to swallow getting a nasty virus and being stuck somewhere other than home.....wash hands often and fist bumps for everyone!!

  8. #8KSSS2020-03-01 14:45

    If this was Ebola or similar I would be concerned. This is nothing like that. You would have a better chance of getting hit by a car running across the street in Vegas than picking this up while your there (65 cases in the entire US right now). I always get more from being there than it costs to go. It is not a cheap week, that is certain, but seeing and talking to people in the business is important as well. We are in a competitive business and staying current on what is out there, meeting those that sell it and looking for better ways to be more competitive is worth it to me.

  9. #9AzIron2020-03-01 14:48

    I am going with the mrs I see a point to not going but since the money has been paid we wont waste it plus it will be the first vacation away from kids we have ever had so I cant see being afraid to live because of getting sick our odds of dying in a car accident on the way up there are higher Like mention above wash hands stay clean and practice good hygiene and if nothing else hit the whiskey ever night sure to kill bugs lol

  10. #10f311fr12020-03-01 19:21

    My wife flew on Southwest non stop from Nashville to las Vegas today. 160 seats on the plane, 90 passengers on the plane, a little over 1/2 full. She said they had to move around for weight distrubution

  11. #11Tyler d4c2020-03-01 19:31

    Were still going I got the email about the kong flu. If we die we die. Tis the risk of the proposition.

  12. #12cuttin edge2020-03-03 16:07

    wash your hands often, a little bottle of sanitizer goes a long way. Avoid rubbing your eyes if you can, and don't kiss any strangers

  13. #13Tyler d4c2020-03-03 20:34

    That last line has me rollen who goes there to kiss strangers

  14. #14skata2020-03-03 21:28

    It is Vegas you know...

  15. #15Nige2020-03-03 22:02

    However bad this current virus gets it won't be a patch on the flu pandemic of 1918 that infected almost 30% of the Earth's population which was around the 1.9 billion mark at that time (it's now close to 8 billion). Estimates of the number of deaths from that infection range from 40-50 milllion up to a high of 100 million ......... Take the usual sensible personal hygiene precautions and you should be just fine.

  16. #16Tyler d4c2020-03-03 22:10

    I am single these days

  17. #17KSSS2020-03-03 22:19

    Getting kissed in Vegas even today wouldn't be as scary as loosing a kidney.

  18. #18cuttin edge2020-03-04 06:20

    The company owners go every year. They take the supervisors. The formen and the operators have to find their own way. Funny how the cleaner your hard hat is, the more you get.

  19. #19ShaneK2020-03-04 12:22

    I'm going to the show! If any heavy construction, earthmovers want to meet up at the show, message me!

  20. #20Ben Witter2020-03-05 18:41

    I have it on good authority that some vendors have pulled out of the show. And I was not going anyways.

  21. #21Tags2020-03-05 19:21

    Which vendors? Any one of the big manufacturers? Or just some guy that sells Whiz-Bangs out in the corner lot??

  22. #22Coaldust2020-03-05 19:39

    I just got a text from a buddy who mentioned in was Volvo CE & Mack.

  23. #23CM19952020-03-05 19:47

    Volvo and all Volvo entities have pulled out - Mack included. https://dieselprogress.com/conexpo-ifpe-cancellations-changes-31132/ My Cat dealer pulled all it's attendees going as well. We're going to make the decision Tuesday.

  24. #24skata2020-03-05 21:26

    Wow. Volvo had one of the biggest booth sizes outside. Supposedly this was suppose to be a record year of attendance based on registration. Be interesting to see how many actually go.

  25. #25AzIron2020-03-05 21:49

    What do you think the cost is for a booth to pull out supposedly these guys have been there setting up for over a month so you know the bulk of the cost is already out to not be recovered It seems stupid to me at this point to cancel but that's just my opinion

  26. #26skata2020-03-05 22:08

    Perhaps Volvo will still have equipment there, but no staff. I wish I knew how much they charge for floor space. Can't be cheap. But besides the floor cost, all the equipment being hauled in, displays being setup, and hotel and airfare for all staff, you're talking big bucks.

  27. #27crane operator2020-03-05 22:25

    Volvo's news release said all their equipment would still be on display, they would just not have any employee's working the booths.

  28. #28Tugger22020-03-05 22:29

    Might be their roll out of the autonomous equipment . ?

  29. #29AzIron2020-03-05 22:55

    I dont think there is a sales man in the world that could let a autonomous machine sale itself lol

  30. #30Tugger22020-03-05 22:58

    Maybe i can retire when my 1957 Bucyrus wakes up and goes autonomous

  31. #31DGODGR2020-03-06 14:44

    Saturday at Con-Expo sucks! In my experience it's not well attended and most vendors use it to begin breaking down displays.

  32. #32KSSS2020-03-06 16:36

    That's my experience as well. Saturday is a waste. The guys running the booths are wiped out, and are more than ready to get out of Vegas.

  33. #33Mobiltech2020-03-06 16:53

    So does Volvo leave the equipment there until all the germs transferred from snotty hands dies off and can’t infect someone or what. Seems overly cautious but I guess better safe than sorry.

  34. #34digger242j2020-03-06 17:17

    Well, it wasn't in the cards for me to make it this year anyway, so this is just a side comment--It seems like everybody is afraid of attending, and catching something before going home. I always thought it was, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"...

  35. #35Mother Deuce2020-03-06 18:09

    I stayed for 2 years once...

  36. #36skata2020-03-06 19:52

    They say 1.7% of Conexpo floor space canceled their exhibits. While 20% of fluid power expo floor space canceled. That's a lot.

  37. #37simonsrplant2020-03-08 00:53

    Fear mongering tactics driven by the media... Chances are something far more sinister is happening while we all talk about the so called corona virus. I call bull. 7.8 billion people on the earth, of which a hundred thousand have the infection. That's 0.12% if my math is accurate. Of that one hundred thousand not a spec of those has died, statistically the elderly and those with pre existing conditions. Hardly a global epidemic. More so an aggressive cold. I'll be there. And I won't be stocking up with toilet paper before I leave.

  38. #38terex herder2020-03-08 08:25

    I suspect your chances of dying in a transportation incident on your way to the show are far higher than dying from covid 19 caught at the show. I also suspect there will be more cases of social disease contracted in Vegas than covid 19. Over 20,000 have died right here in the USA this season from the flu. And no, your math is not right. Its .0013%, or 1 in 78,000.

  39. #39MKTEF2020-03-09 14:58

    Had everything ordered and planned for this year...My boss called me yesterday night and canselled the trip… Otherwise i would have been on the airplane right now. Volvo will have their machines and everything present, but there will only be local american personell manning the boots. Of course planning for a Meeting With cm1995 and his Nice Assistant.

  40. #40skata2020-03-09 16:55

    Boss won't let you go? Will be interesting to see this year's turnout. Was supposed to be record attendance.

  41. #41CM19952020-03-09 20:20

    Damn MKTEF... We were looking forward to talking with you again and hearing about your missions from the last 3 years. We really enjoyed our last meet up in 2017. God willing we'll be there in 2023 so maybe we can meet up again. Take care.

  42. #42Blocker in MS2020-03-10 11:04

    Well, looks like I made it all the way over here too.

  43. #43skata2020-03-10 12:28

    How's the crowds?

  44. #44AzIron2020-03-10 18:32

    Reasonable I didn't see any empty booths overall but you walk into the fluid power portion and it's pretty empty by probably a quarter

  45. #4502SILVER2020-03-10 18:34

    There are a ton of people here. This is my first time so I have nothing to compare it to. Anybody else make it?

  46. #46skata2020-03-10 20:47

    There's some pics on the Conexpo Twitter. Looks like a good crowd. https://mobile.twitter.com/conexpoconagg

  47. #47Blocker in MS2020-03-10 20:52

    There are more people here than I have ever seen at one time in any other place. Good place for the Crocodile Dundee quote when he firsts goes to NY. I will have to paraphrase, but it was something like “10 million people, and they all want to live together”

  48. #48Tags2020-03-10 21:53

    I'll be flying in tomorrow, looking forward to the show....

  49. #49AzIron2020-03-10 22:49

    Everything you can think of in one spot

  50. #50Tyler d4c2020-03-10 23:00

    I was there today

  51. #51skata2020-03-10 23:09

    Hey I didn't know you were on the gold rush show

  52. #52Tyler d4c2020-03-10 23:10

    I asked him if he need a wrench for the season I got declined haha

  53. #53Tags2020-03-11 22:32

    Heading over tomorrow morning....

  54. #54The Peej2020-03-12 21:03

    I just got an email that conex will close one day early. closing Friday at 5pm. Glade I made it to the show today. This is my 4th or 5th time and turnout seems about average but the hotels and casinos feel empty

  55. #55skata2020-03-12 22:28

    Conexpo is probably the only reason there are a few people in Vegas. Kinda sucks with this whole virus thing. I had decided not to go.

  56. #56xr4ticlone2020-03-12 22:34

    Had planned on going. Hotel prices crashed vs my early order pricing...which told me attendance could be limited. I was going to drive out, then decided to get stuff done here instead...which all went sideways as well. : (

  57. #57xr4ticlone2020-03-12 22:35

    Just saw they're shutting it down early. Since I paid for a ticket I'm no their group text.

  58. #58simonsrplant2020-03-12 23:41

    Yeah.... Kind of a **** off. Just arrived here to find this out. Hoping I'll get a good day of it but also know that peoples mind sets are in leaving now. Made a very expensive few days for me that's for sure.

  59. #59AzIron2020-03-13 01:12

    Yea personally its crap they shut it down early you advertise a show you put on a show you wouldn't notice people are gone overall but there a random slots that are empty We came out Tuesday and are headed home tomorrow so I have seen everything but I would be pissed if I was here friday and saturday to find out it's just Friday

  60. #60Welder Dave2020-03-13 11:54

    There are stupid people out there like the guy who got on the plane and after landing said he tested positive. He had to know before he got on the plane. He should be charged with something. Everyone on the plane and in the airports are at risk because of him. I could see someone making plans to go and feeling a little ill but going anyway. Not getting tested until after and claiming they had no idea. People go to work sick all the time. Some companies make you feel guilty for calling in sick. It would suck to go down and find out it was cut short but think what would happen if someone at the show was positive for Covid 19. The people putting on the show would get raked over the coals.

  61. #61Blocker in MS2020-03-13 21:01

    Hope all you guys that got there late got to see most of what you wanted. I got the message headed south from the airport last night. It was sure a nice place to visit and a lot of things to see. The highlight was meeting a couple new friends on here though.

  62. #62skata2020-03-13 21:52

    I wonder what the official attendance was for the show.

  63. #63Tags2020-03-14 03:42

    Had a great time there with the guys I went with and as an added bonus met up with Aziron and his lovely wife ( who is a saint for sitting through dinner with us, and also thank you CM for the reservation) it was really nice to be able to meet up with him and chat about how thing s are done by him and by me. Went back to the show Friday and finished checking things out, had a great dinner dinner and decided to switch our flights out a day early to get home to family members that are a little freaked out at home because of some virus or something.....anyone hear anything about that?????

  64. #64CM19952020-03-14 10:27

    Well glad ya'll were able to use the reservations - Emeril's is a great place. Hate we missed it.

  65. #65KSSS2020-03-15 21:33

    We had a good time. Meet a lot of people you only talk with online or on the phone. I see Vegas is now starting to shut down a couple Casinos. Conexpo appeared to do everything possible to make it safe. Still 200K people in one spot will always cause problems, especially now. My neighbor won the Link Belt challenge again, the kid is fast no doubt about that.

  66. #66SterlingR2020-03-20 15:37

    Attendance was definitely off this year. I heard 130,000 registered and they picked up 90,000 badges. It was busy but not overwhelming like it usually has been in the past. With Volvo cancelling and most of the Volvo dealers cancelling it had an impact for sure.

  67. #67skata2020-03-20 17:14

    Where did you read 90k badge pickup number? From reading online, the show just tells they had 130k registered, ignoring how many actually attended. I wonder if they will give refunds to those who didn't show up.

  68. #68Welder Dave2020-03-20 17:34

    I don't think Volvo pulling out would have stopped most people from going. The people that went would have gone anyway. People stayed home because of Covid 19 concerns. If multiple manufacturers would have pulled out would keep people away or even force the cancellation of the whole show.

  69. #69Tags2020-03-20 21:00

    Our small group really had a great time there, lots of good stuff to see, and we are all feeling absolutely fine....

  70. #70AzIron2020-03-20 21:18

    Conexpo was pretty good if traffic was light I am not sure I want experience normal our cat dealer pulled all there people the week before witch also stopped a few guys that were going on the dealers dime

  71. #71SterlingR2020-03-24 09:41

    We heard it from someone that's responsible for a few areas for AEM. I wonder how many of the 130,000 registered are vendors? So vendor numbers really shouldn't count, but my guess are part of that number. The Las Vegas chamber of commerce made a statement on that Tuesday or Wednesday they had 100,000 room cancellations. Obviously not all were ConExpo. Non the less it was a good show for us and those around us.