Had these axle stubs machined by a friend in that business matching the original dimensions: Those are machined from C1018 low carbon steel and are 2" square solid. The original axle was 2.5" square solid and when I had a wheel end bearing go bad, it destroyed the axle end. At the time to get the compressor back onto wheels, I purchased two sets of stub & hub kit(s) from ebay, and used a couple of dually truck wheels to carry on with. These stubs slipped into a 2.50"X.250 wall square tube: Before weld dressing to make everything smooth: This works but the original wheels will go back on and the centers will not protrude wider than the fenders: Going to take this existing axle and repurpose it under my diesel Hobart welder so it will be on running gear. Probably need to narrow it but if so I'll sleeve the center where the welding will be. I need to purchase a couple 3/4 ton truck wheels as don't have any of those around.
Original setup being returned to: Current setup:
Well dammit; another incorrectly filled order. Seen a package of bearings on the front porch this morning knowing it is the outer wheel bearings for the original hubs. I opened the package and the cones are correct, but rather than the 2523 cups required, they sent 2520 cups which are different. Don't know what happened here but probably grabbed off the shelf, or stocked incorrectly and shipped without double checking anything. Oh well, I don't have the inner bearings yet but expect them this week. Don't really have time to build up the axle yet so not really any kind of setback. Sent off an email so will see the response hopefully later this morning.
Received a reply and they are going to ship a replacement set out yet today. Told me to keep the originals and they don't want them back which is fine and will be retained for spares.
Obviously someone isn't checking the orders before they're shipped. I could see a big order with a mistake on one of the parts but a couple of bearings??
I received another email from the vendor asking for the part numbers on the box. Didn't have my phone with me, (left on charger at home) to photo but the box is clearly stenciled 2585-2523 and the race which should have been 2523 in the box was 2520, so someone packaged incorrectly. From the letter I assume there is concern as to why this happened and they must be looking into it.
Inner wheel bearings delayed by a day; you guessed it, FedEx. Outer replacement bearings are still in route, but they are shipped postal so planning on having problems.....
Inner bearings showed up. Now awaiting seals and will be good to build up axle assy.
Outer bearings and correct races showed up this afternoon. Now awaiting seals and will be onto the task.