Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gold plated parts

Welder Dave · 2023-10-23 14:57

I priced a clutch slave cylinder for a Champion grader. Apparently the parts are discontinued but they had 4 rebuilt ones from parts they had on hand. They don't have a core charge so you have to pay full pop...$881.00 Wow!! I'm going to have a clutch and brake shop look at the one I have to see if maybe they can find the parts to fix it.

Replies22
  1. #1cuttin edge2023-10-23 20:09

    Oh the joys of owning machines. Hard to have equipment on hand and not putting it to work to earn it's upkeep. Something happened to the 470 Hitachi last week, and I hear it's gonna be a $30,000 plus bill to fix it. They priced a new sidewalk asphalt spreader to replace out old "Putt putt " they call it. $275,000. You could almost buy a new driveway spreader for that.

  2. #2Legdoc2023-10-23 20:33

    I know the feeling!

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-10-23 21:10

    I better try to take it off pretty soon to see if it can possibly be repaired. It would really suck if it can't be fixed and the stupid expensive ones were sold out too. Well over $2000 just to have the clutch engagement work.

  4. #4OzDozer2023-10-23 22:51

    Clutch and brake components are pretty universal and made by a few original manufacturers (Wagner, Bendix, etc) - but there are plenty of aftermarket manufacturers of older parts and components, where the original manufacturer has ceased producing the item. Can you ID the make and any part numbers on the slave cylinder? I got a new master cylinder and slave cylinder for the clutch on my '89 Isuzu truck about 18 mths ago, Isuzu genuine prices are off the wall, the aftermarket ones came from Taiwan, and they were dirt cheap by comparison. I STR it was about AU$45 for the slave cylinder and about AU$65 for the master cylinder. At the end of the day, they're only simple hydraulic cylinders, and you can often find components from some other machine that can be adapted.

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-10-23 23:09

    I don't think there's any numbers or name on the slave cylinder. It's considerably bigger than an automotive application. It's about 2 1/2" or 3" in dia. and about 8" long.

  6. #6joe--h2023-10-24 01:55

    What's wrong with it? What's it look like? Just worn? Have it sleeved. Joe H

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-10-24 02:12

    It looks like it blew the brake fluid out the bottom. It only shows 1 O-ring seal on the parts breakdown. I thinks it's probably wishful thinking that just the O-ring could be replaced but I think it's worth seeing if a clutch and brake shop could repair it. Maybe it could be honed, a new O-ring installed and the other old parts reused?? The $881.00 just seems excessive. $500 and I might have just got a new one.

  8. #8OzDozer2023-10-24 02:48

    Sleeving with stainless tubing is a very acceptable repair process and relatively cheap, if you can find someone doing it.

  9. #9Welder Dave2023-10-24 02:57

    It might depend on if the other parts are available. The master cylinder could have been sleeved but it would have cost more than a new one.

  10. #10joe--h2023-10-24 12:06

    So what's it look like? Pictures, the parts sheet you have? Can't even guess without pictures. Joe H

  11. #11IceHole2023-10-24 12:54

    Boss at one of my jobs got the contract for city sidewalks. They expect at least FIVE 2016 or newer Trackless MTs. They are about 300k new with blower.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-10-24 15:53

    Here's a short video showing it and a shop in Quebec that has it for $695.00 plus about $65 shipping. The last link shows a parts breakdown. Going to see if the old one can possibly be repaired and if not see if the local shop will match the price. 43322 - Mammouth Équipement Slave cylinder mammouthequipements.com http://www.sierrapark.org/Equipment/Champion_730A/Parts_Manual/Section_5_Clutch.pdf

  13. #13cuttin edge2023-10-24 19:26

    Too bad you couldn't find a small hydraulic cylinder with the right stroke

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-10-24 19:30

    I could probably modify a hyd. cylinder but I don't know if the seals are compatible with Dot 3 brake fluid and would need a way to retract the cylinder. Not sure how that would work for an inching pedal either.

  15. #15Camshawn2023-10-24 19:45

    I would think your local hydraulic shop could fix you up with new seals and be able to machine a new cylinder if needed. Worth asking the question…..

  16. #16Welder Dave2023-10-24 20:26

    With machine shops charging $160/hr. or more I don't think there would be any savings over a new slave cylinder. Brake fluid requires special seals ( maybe silicone) than normal hyd. seals. I'm going to take the parts breakdown and pics. to a brake and clutch shop and see if they have anyway of getting parts. If they don't I think I need to bite the bullet and buy a new one while they're still available. I'd see if the local place would match the price I found. 21% cheaper is significant and even with shipping is still about 14% cheaper.

  17. #17joe--h2023-10-24 22:12

    Did you take it apart? Can't be much in there, what's the big mystery? 1x8x0.75 SA Hydraulic Cylinder w/ Hand/Foot Pump Parker P/N BB269147A0 | Single Acting Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com 1x8x0.75 SA Hydraulic Cylinder w/ Hand/Foot Pump Parker P/N BB269147A0, Single Acting Hydraulic Cylinders, 1 x 8 x 0.75 SA HYDRAULIC CYLINDERPARKER CYLINDER DIVISION,MODEL# BB269147A0, www.surpluscenter.com McMasterCarr has shitloads of them https://www.mcmaster.com/products/single-acting-cylinders/ Joe H

  18. #18Welder Dave2023-10-24 22:51

    I haven't taken it off the machine yet but it's leaking so I looked into replacing it or maybe repairing it. The shop that deals with them used to offer exchange units but don't anymore because the parts aren't available. Apparently parts are no longer available from Volvo at least. I'm going to see if a brake and clutch shop may be able to get parts. It only shows 1 O-ring but I think other parts also need to be replaced when rebuilding them. If the bore is pitted would need to be replaced or sleeved. A new master cylinder was much cheaper than sleeving the old one. I suspect the same for the slave cylinder. The clutch/inching pedal is pretty important in a grader. It's not just for starting and stopping. Sometimes you need to creep slowly past an obstacle or something. I want it to work properly just think the price is outrageous to replace it because it's pretty simple. A cylinder for a barber chair for a clutch slave cylinder?

  19. #19joe--h2023-10-25 00:47

    A cylinder is a cylinder. If it will fits it'll work. You need the diameter and the stroke, the rest you cobble. Joe H

  20. #20Welder Dave2023-10-25 02:58

    I realize that but the seals would need to be changed to work with brake fluid. I'd have to figure out approx. how much force is required and how much pressure the master cylinder and booster put out. Then I'd need some kind of spring return. A Porta-power cylinder could maybe be adapted and they have an internal spring to retract. I'm sure I could come up with something if there was no other option but I doubt it would cost much less (if any) or work as well. I already spent quite a bit on the master cylinder and booster but they're a little more complicated than a slave cylinder. Making a different system to run off the hyd's. using a modified cylinder and foot operated valve would take a bunch of redneck engineering and time. Not something I'd want to do now that winter is very near. I don't have a heated shop to work in. It would also suck to design and install a system that didn't work properly. I don't have much faith that just a new O-ring would fix the slave cylinder but will ask the brake and clutch shop. The only issue I have is the ridiculous cost for a relatively simple cylinder. They're praying on the customer not being able to find an alternative. I did find one cheaper though. $120 or more saved is still worth having one shipped from another province in Canada. From the US if I found one would have to be about 60 to 70% cheaper to save any money once shipping was added.

  21. #21Welder Dave2023-10-25 16:25

    Just to see, I called a Volvo dealer to see if it's still available. They have 1 in Toronto for only $1800!!! They even mentioned calling the place I already talked to. I called the local shop but they aren't negotiable on prices so I'll probably order one from Quebec. The $881 was for a rebuilt. They can get new for $1300. They used to give $150 for core. That would put the price about the same as the new one from Quebec with shipping. I went to the brake shop to show them some pics. and they said maybe could find the O-ring and other parts. Then he mentioned he didn't know when they could get to it. I forgot about that. I went through that with the master cylinder. It was well over a month, I think about 6 weeks before they even told if it could be rebuilt. I certainly don't want to wait till the middle of winter when it's -25C or colder to see if it's even repairable or have to order and install a new one. I can see if my mechanic friend might be able to take the old one apart and see what it looks like inside. Maybe fix it for a spare or sell it. There's a lot of old Champions still being used.

  22. #22Welder Dave2023-10-26 17:34

    I ordered the one from Quebec and should have it in about a week. Mammouth Equipment was great to deal with. The woman I was dealing with went on holidays but the president of the company saw my e-mail and looked after everything. Quick response to my e-mails and called me for a credit card number. They sent an invoice and receipt by e-mail and a tracking number for Purolater in short order. Can't ask for better service than that.