What loader is that on the Discovery show Gold Rush Alaska? I think it's an early 980.
Looks like an 980B to me. I am sure someone will post a positive ID on it soon.
Anyone notice the danger in working in that hole? Got water rushing in from the river and washing rock down. Where is Labor and Industries?
Rabbit, remember that its a tv show and that the appearance of more danger = higher ratings. Alot of people confuse reality tv with reality.
They are regulated by MSHA and trust me, i seriously doubt there will be a season 2. MSHA makes L & I look like childs play. MSHA is probobly the worst of all the federal safety associations. They might be exempt from some laws by not having any employees but I still think they will be shut down after what was aired this season. You just can't broadcast a site like that nationwide without forcing them to do something. Thats the same reason the S & S loggers on from ax men can't log in WA State anymore, they did not have permits.
Negative, employees is not the qualifying factor for MSHA, ask the family-run rock pits and they can tell you that (and why most of them are quitting). Technically you can get away with being a barrow pit, but you aren't supposed to process material more than a scalper and it isn't supposed to leave the property. They lay claim to your soul otherwise.
I wondered why S&S wasn't logging in WA anymore. One of those guys is gonna get seriously hurt. The Dad is an absolute idiot. It is funny to watch them though, kinda like a slow motion train wreck.
DISCOVERY CHANNEL GREENLIGHTS SECOND SEASONS OF GOLD RUSH: ALASKA http://blogs.discovery.com/discover...overy-channel-greenlights-second-seasons.html
Here it is. Now, who dares buy it?
Not me. I like the show but the old man is irratating.
980B. Looks like it's in pretty good shape. They didn't make much off of gold this year, but I bet they made plenty off of Discovery channel. I do like the show though, glad to see it's coming back next season.
Were selling a 988 B in better condition than that, and a newer model for $18k. I think he is a little overpriced.
big b, I know what you mean about the old man. When the episode came on earlier this year and they kept advertising him saying "No guts, no glory!", I about puked. It was like somebody scratching their fingernails on a chalkboard. My 15 year old boy mocked him for days after that when I did something to irritate him. Boss, he's cashin' in on his 15 minutes of fame. It's been on TV you know. Out
99.99% scripted drama...01% gold show
Saw one of the teasers for the show with a bunch of dust in a pan. Was wondering who salted the claim so they could come back next year?
I don't know. They showed a teaser this week with big ol nugget in a pan. Its funny that I get irritated at their lack of efficiency but at the same time cant look away.
Same here, I often wonder why they don't just load the wash plant with the loader, and when the plant breaks down or needs a cleanout they should be stockpiling more material with that "400" before that hole becomes a lake. On another note I was wondering if any of you guys have done placer mining. My dad did for a bit in the '70's as a hobby with nothing but a homemaded sluice box, a shovel, and a 2" monarch pump.
There 400 is overkill for any of the support equipment. Would be better of with the 230 in the pit, loader feeding wash plant or maybe even an 80 or 120 excavator.
The 980 AND the 270 were for sale when they left Haines last fall. Todd ofered them to a friend of mine but I don't remember the prices. I told my friend those were not the pieces he needed! They had been "Rode Hard and Put Away Wet!" from what I could tell.
I would have been surprised if they looked anything but. They were always complaining about how the loader wasn't keeping up. Why they want a smaller one is beyond me. With a 25t artic stockpiling, they could use a smaller loader to pull away tailings, but what are they gonna load the plant with if they sold the 270? Trying to think like dumb people is unhealthy.
i just saw an episode at the end where they get booted out of the claim they were at so they have to go up to the yukon, the guys a head case and the old man is annoying everyone just watches it cause its the "american dream" lol
I watch it because it is hilarious!
HA!!!!! I have never heard that before..."trying to think like dumb people is unhealthy" I am POACHING that line! I will give you cred though... HILARIOUS!!! As for the show... My two cents is Gold companies go where there is profitable returns. I am sure there is more in the ground than has been found but to watch these guys. Man, no wonder the chief mechanic is strung out on pharmacuticals... I have worked in my trade w some serious well... and to be A long way from far away w these guys I think I would fold. I would like to see an axe men format where there are multiple camps and techniques as this is killing my mountain man daydream.
I watch it for the equipment, like to pick apart what they do wrong. I really dont like how they portray everything through all the editing it makes the show pretty bad, if they just let things roll (like american chopper) it would make it better. I def. think they didnt use that D6 enough, they couldve made better roads for the loader (scince thats what they used to move the material), benched off the hole better, i dont know its always easier in hind site. Really wanna see how they go about it next season now that they sorta know the jist of what they have to do, and def. hope theres more IRON! :thumbsup Ready for American Loggers Friday at 10?!
I was wondering why they didnt use the tandem dump to move the dirt instead of the loader it would go faster thats what i do if i dont have a articulated dump. Just my 2 cents. But im no gold miner.
There is on room in that hole to even turn that loader around. Let alone get a truck in there with the loader and load material.
An A30D would be perfect, i dont know why they even took that pete up there?? just to haul stuff to the sites all that i saw.
If they go to the Yukon they'll have to leave all they're guns at the border CBSA and the RCMP won't take kindly to anybody trying to get into Canada with a collection like that.
They would proably overload the shaker if loaded with the loader. They could probably have gotten away with a smaller hoe loading the wash plant and have it consistently moving. The loader would probably have to sit there and barely feed the plant.
They can't just "go" to the Yukon anyway. No more than we can go to Alaska without a car load of permits, green cards etc etc. If they can't find gold where they're at, what makes them think there's any more of it in the Yukon?
It's the Yukon Drainage in central Alaska. Not the Yukon as in the province.