I need a compressor to media blast with. Hoping to get something in the 175CFM+ range. Price is one of the more important considerations right now - but of course not something that will be a headache. Are there brands to stay away from? Or a number of hours where it just makes no sense to buy? I don't know much about the whole thing but we are getting ready to do a bunch of blasting (soda/glass/coal) and just want to make sure we don't pick up anything is all wrong for the task.
Your "kinda" sol depending on your price range.. the best is a "screw type" air compressor. The worse is an "oil less".. We used 2- 80gal compressors hooked together.. 2 motors, 2 tanks plumbed into one another and have never had a problem in 20 years. Until one gave up the ghost and we got a Quincy "screw".. it did away w/ both 80 gal tanks.. Brands?? IR, Quincy.. I can tell you from experience, use the shortest run possible w/ your hose, from the compressor tank to your nozzle.. That's to say, if your using a blast cabinet.. have the compressor as close as possible, say on the other side of the wall or curtain as to not suck the media back in the compressor air inlet..
Oh sorry should have specified I meant diesel compressor for mobile use.
What size of pot? Blasting of what? A compressor will need to be sized to your pot and nozzle. A 185cfm will be around a 5/6 nozzle depending on what you are doing. A 3cuft pot will last you around 20-30 min. Sizing is critical for efficiency. If you search you can find a sizing chart. Get a good fresh air hood, makes the job comfortable.
Well, I bought service truck that came with a Grimmer schmidt compressor on the back. I removed the back (toolboxes) and got the compressor running. I used to blast allot with various compressors up to a 200 cfm unit I built (runs off of tractor PTO) This Grimmer Schmidt is a Ford v-8 engine running as a 4 cylinder engine. Puts out 140 cfm, the manual shows they made a larger unit as well. I was skeptical at first, but idles right down nicely, the control is simple, etc. Unlike a screw, it doesn't run oil thru the pump, there is no after filtering problems either, all in all a very nice running unit.
What does your Grimmer Schmidt put out for maximum PSI. I passed on a clean looking one at a auction a couple weeks ago because the tag stated it peaked at 100 PSI. Not quite enough for my 1" impact wrench. They are a cool little unit. I once knew a guy that had one on a floating gold dredges sluice operation on his claim in the Sierra's.
Mine goes to 140 psi, so a bit more than a screw compressor (IIRC 125 max on those)
I use an older IR P185. They are common and affordable, one at every age. I use a Schmidt pot. Just hobby stuff for me.