Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good Idea?

1toomanyhobbies ยท 2010-09-22 17:24

I am thinking about getting this stump grinder for my mini. http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Mini_Excavator_Stump_Grinder_p/stmp-220h-ex.htm I like it because i can see not only being able to do stump grinding but I think i could also use it to cut up to 15'' trees into sections instead of having to get out and use a chainsaw. i can also see testing to see how it does doing limbing on standing trees. Any thoughts? I realize cutting a tree/limbing isn't in the original design spec but right off hand i don't see how it would be a problem as long as I take my time.

Replies5
  1. #1buckfever2010-09-22 19:09

    don't think the machine has enough hydro horse power to grind a hole tree. good for stump though.

  2. #2joispoi2010-09-22 19:31

    I think I'd pass.

  3. #31toomanyhobbies2010-09-22 19:58

    I should have given a better description. I would not trying to grind the whole tree, I would just trying to cut it into manageable logs that I could load and haul away. It seems like I would get a grinder and a semi shear in one.

  4. #4joispoi2010-09-26 06:22

    Time would be the problem...unless you're not under any time constraints. If you're planning on using the grinder to limb and section trees, you may want to ask your dealer if they can upgrade the hour meter on your machine to a sun dial so that you can have a gauge that's calibrated to your production rate. :tong

  5. #5stumpjumper832010-09-27 16:11

    If you want to grind stumps, get a stump grinder attachment. For cutting and piecing up trees, get the tree shear. thing is with a mini hoe your limited to 10" capacity and it might be faster to use a stihl. I use a chainsaw and a hydraulic thumb and the guy on the saw better be fast cause i can move a pile of wood in no time. If you do get a grinder, make sure you have a lexan front window and don't grind toward the cab, those things launch rocks and having one hit you wouldn't be cool.