Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good Low Pressure Electric Fuel Pump

Birken Vogt ยท 2016-06-11 23:32

Can anybody point me to a good low pressure pump that is not a piece of garbage? I have this Holley on an old International 392 that we have gone through a number of times but it still floods over and I am suspecting the high performance race car pump somebody threw on there is like 10psi and too much. I am thinking something like 3psi might be more like it but I am afraid of some of the garbage electric pumps out there.

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2016-06-11 23:38

    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4070/overview/

  2. #2Bumpsteer2016-06-11 23:59

    This. I've got one mounted to a stand, use it for pumping out a vehicle tank when necessary. Even used it on a couple of radiators....... Ed

  3. #3lantraxco2016-06-12 01:17

    By the way, are you sure it's the fuel level? Holleys were notorious for issues with the power valve diaphragms, one backfire and the thin rubber punctures, sucks gas direct from the bowl into the vacuum passage. Just remembering my misspent youth, lol.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2016-06-12 11:47

    We have rebuilt this carb 2 or 3 times already. Last time we also replaced the floats thinking they were not floating any more. Which may have been true. But I doubt the power valve has been damaged yet.

  5. #5Todd v.2016-06-12 20:44

    Yea those carter pumps are well proven. Most of the high performace pumps are designed to be used with a pressure regulator, something you can add in if pressure is an issue. The carter like posted above doesn't need a regulator.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2016-06-12 21:51

    So far the ones I have seen are listing 8 psi. Are there any available with like 2 or 4 psi?

  7. #7lantraxco2016-06-12 22:40

    The P4070 is rated 4-8 psi, which means a nominal 6. The Holleys are supposed to be good for 8 psi, but? If needed you could inline a Holley 1-4 psi regulator, about thirty bucks more: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-804/overview/