Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good neighbor policy?

Welder Dave · 2019-06-13 00:14

I was trying to pack down a ridge on the edge of my driveway and got pulled in the soft side with a tandem dump truck loaded with sand. It sunk up to the axle on that side. My new neighbor who I get along with pretty good was home cleaning up brush piles from his fence line with his 200 size excavator. I asked if I could hire him to pull me out so he came and took a look then went to get his machine. He had to drive about a 1/2 mile total. I opened the tailgate and he pushed most of the sand out. Then he hooked on the front and got it out. Then he used the sand to fill the hole and leveled everything off. It took less than an hour total. Normally for a good neighbor I'd just pull them out. I once drove my Cat 931B about a mile to pull my other neighbors tractor out. He helps me, I help him. I thought maybe when he starts loading and hauling clay to build up his property I could take my Cat over and help him or just let him use it to push the piles around. I figured somewhere down the line I'd be able to return the favor. I didn't say much but he said he's not against a horse trade but I could fill up his machine...not the whole tank, it's about half full so about 150 litres would do. Currently would be about $193.00. I'm super happy he was able to pull me out but the guy we hired to work on the Flat Track has a 200 size machine and charged $100/hr. for it. What's the norm for helping your next door neighbor out of a jamb? Oddly after it was out one of the guys from the gravel pit that recently disced the MX track for me came to ride. They have all kinds of equipment and big tractors as well. Used a 270 HP front wheel assist JD to pull the disc and they have a bigger tractor as well. Too bad he wouldn't have shown up 45 minutes sooner. I'm sure he would have arranged to get a machine over to pull me out even if they had to put it on a trailer. His dad brought a D5H to pull me out of frozen muskeg on Remembrance day 7 or 8 years ago. They realize I'm not making a lot on the track and they get riding privileges when ever they want.

Replies33
  1. #1_Weldman_2019-06-13 01:30

    I personally would not see the monetary value that my neighbor charged me to get me unstuck when it was few bucks over what you could gotten for deal from someone else, it was quick and you didn't lose time over waiting on the better deal of $100. Me personally I also wouldn't have charged you for the fuel though when at the mercy of one some people take advantage of another. I've pulled countless out with no charge along with other things such as put a animal down or what have you. Though at least a bottle of bourbon would be nice or for others a 12 pack would of sufficed, but I wouldn't have asked for it. As war vet of this great nation (America) I still see myself as just doing my job.

  2. #2Welder Dave2019-06-13 02:04

    I'm happy to be unstuck. Just curious what other people would do to help their neighbors. I just now know to do my own thing. The neighbor doesn't blame me for one of his dogs getting killed but pretty much hates the guy helping me that hit the dog. I can't help but think it may be related.

  3. #3Mother Deuce2019-06-13 04:08

    Same as Spud Monkey... I'd have yarded you out and forgotten it. LOL! if you happened to be driving buy with an extra cold barley "soda" on a hot day, I'd enjoy one with you. Sometimes we just do what we do for the sake of doing it... no dollars attached.

  4. #4repowerguy2019-06-13 05:56

    I once spent an entire Sunday afternoon digging a basement size hole on a hillside with a John Deere 310 [the original light in the front 3 cyl model] to bury 5 head of cattle killed by lightning. The guy was a man up the road I've known for years, I never took a penny, but when I built on my house he insisted on running all the duct work for the furnace, he was and is a world class tin knocker. Generally speaking, with a neighbor, money needn't change hands.

  5. #5funwithfuel2019-06-13 06:46

    My neighbors, I hate with a passion. Wouldn't cross the street to **** on em if they were on fire. My old neighborhood, the old fella helped us, we helped them, it was back and forth with a smile. And I liked helping. They were good folks. Once money comes in to the equation it cheapens the whole deal, takes the feel good out of it. Just my opinion.

  6. #6Vetech632019-06-13 07:05

    I live far enough in the country that I don't even know my neighbors. I have 2 roads that border my property, one is a dead end about 1/4 up......and the other is a side road that has 3 houses on a mile stretch. Everyone here seems to pretty much keep to themselves.

  7. #7funwithfuel2019-06-13 07:19

    I am so jealous vetech. You are totally livin the dream Out there

  8. #8Vetech632019-06-13 07:36

    LOL...….I just got my oldest city-girl stepdaughter moved here a month ago and her family is living in a travel trailer here while their house is being built. She came busting through my front door in a small panic late yesterday afternoon saying "COME QUICK!.....Tell me what kind of snake this is!!??" . I go out side to find a 18" pigmy rattlesnake lying in my driveway just soaking up the evening sun. I pick it up with a pair of 3' grabbers I have here, stuck it in a Tupperware container with a lid, and told her to jump on the 4 wheeler and let it go up the road. The look on her face was priceless. She took off and about 15 minutes later she walked in the front door, all stressed out, and said that was the most frightening thing she had ever done. I said "Welcome to the country!"

  9. #9AzIron2019-06-13 08:11

    We may be neighbors but I dont have to be neighborly Being the guy in the neighborhood with equipment everyone always asks for a favor I dont mind but it gets ridiculous

  10. #10CM19952019-06-13 08:15

    You either help a neighbor out or you work for a neighbor. If you're working for a neighbor then the price should be discussed up front as that is proper business. This last Saturday the wife and I were on the way home from Costco and stopped by our yard to put some junk in the dumpster. Neighbor is in the middle of moving from one building at the end of the street to his new building next door to me. The brain trust he had helping him backed the warehouse forklift off the concrete apron and got it stuck. Daughter comes over, proceeds to tell us about the situation and says she is headed to get a floor jack. At that point I say there's no need for that I'll crank up ol' Blue and either pick it or pull it out. Took longer to open the gate (it's motorized), gather a chain and drive next door than it did to pop that little Toyota lift out of the mud. Just glad that we decided to drive by. I wouldn't think for a minute to ask for a dime.

  11. #11Ct Farmer2019-06-13 08:49

    Our farm directly borders 34 other properties and more if you count the ones across the river and rest on our dead end road. We are surrounded. Over the years my dad or I have been to most of them. Multiple times. Can't recall ever charging anything. Maybe some fuel if they offer. Sometimes it is work with a machine, plumbing or electrical on a weekend afternoon or the ever famous "do you have a bolt like this?" Welding is popular too. I do ask a few bucks if I make them a hydraulic hose. Just cost. Always seems to be somebody who needs to have a curtain drain dug or locate their well or septic lines. Or gets stuck. Pumped more water out of more basements thanI can recall. Of course nobody complains when a string of trucks comes down for a pick up or delivery. Or the Cat is bellering away for hours. Subtle hints about 65 condos helps too. Like funwithfuel there are a few I just won't go near. Like the nasty old selfish bat that lives right next to us that drives 60 down our narrow dead end street and dusts kids off on their bikes.

  12. #12farmerlund2019-06-13 09:59

    Remember this is a guy that doesn't really know you. Does he owe you a favor? When it comes around to him needing something you can be the first to not charge him for a little help. I do a lot of trading with friends and neighbors. I have lived here for my entire life. 50yrs. I also have a good friend of mine, grew up together, He would not take a soda pop from my shop fridge with out leaving a $. Just the way he was raised, never take from anyone. It takes al kinds to make the world go around I guess.

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-06-13 10:22

    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking down the road there's going to be something I could help him with whether with a machine or if he needs some HD welding or something. He was on the road with his machine cleaning the brush piles. I've stopped and talked to him longer than it took to pull me out. I would have tried to pull some of the sand out with my my 931B with backhoe and then hook on the truck but it was about a mile away in the other neighbors back field. Had I known I would have brought my Cat over and tried. The guy that hit the dog (by accident) was digging the sand. I never mentioned anything about him being there. Sent him a text to just keep digging. If he would have been there it would have been stressful to say the least. If he would have been at the track, I would have asked to him to go away or hide for awhile.

  14. #14donkey doctor2019-06-13 10:54

    I always insist on paying. Hate to be beholding to anybody. Hate to feel I owe anyone a favor. Will almost always do a favor for someone else but don'l like to feel obligated because they did one for me. Prefer to pay my own way. d.d.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2019-06-13 10:55

    MY neighbor just had knee surgery yesterday.. he came over the day before & asked if I would take care of his 3 cats cuz he was gonna be in the hospital for 3 days.. I said, SURE, just show me where everything is & give me a list of HOW u want them taken care of.. We went inside his house, I got familiar w/ his kittys & he made a list.. when to feed them, when to water them & when to clean-out that fk''n nasty litter box.. He gave me the key & I walked back home.. I did his list to the letter & then some.. for 3 days.. I brought them some toys, brought them some treats, cleaned up their puke & swept the floor.. 2x aday He came home & I helped him get into the house, gave him his keys.. he said, Thank You for the help & that was IT..

  16. #16hosspuller2019-06-13 15:15

    People I know, that had knee surgery were out of their mind from the cutting and drugs for weeks. Give the man the benefit of doubt and let him show you who he is over time. He might surprise you.

  17. #17thepumpguysc2019-06-13 15:33

    Doubtful.. MY CAT died acouple months back & it took me awhile, but I gave all my cat stuff to him.. Expensive litter, box liners, toys, kitty condo & 5lbs of dry food.. & a case of wet & those expensive "pouch" foods..& when he returned the container the dry food was in..3weeks later.. He gave it to the wife & said, heres your container.. NOT EVEN CLEANED ..

  18. #18DMiller2019-06-13 16:07

    HAHA! Almost as my little saving of the new Deere 755 sitting on that low deck all high centered and hung. I won't charge for neighborly duties, never have never will but if in a jam and that neighbor I had aided ignores I will not forget.

  19. #19fast_st2019-06-13 17:29

    Heya Dave, if I had the fuel handy I'd likely have offered a top off, once you know what a heavy wrecker call runs a tank is cheap! I borrowed my neighbors little skid steer, nice little size, Gehl, well it had a flaky starter, it'd start cold but not hot and sometimes needed a tap or three. Now I'd borrowed it before but this was for a whole weekend this time, maybe a little more. I'd always return it washed and fueled in thanks for the loan. Well I knew about the starter issues so hopped online, $55 for a starter, ordered the starter and had it delivered early, also fixed a broken wire and adjusted the brakes a little. Upon the return he tried to pay me for the starter and repairs, said I'd be happy with a six pack of Moxie if he was at the store. Ended up with two fridge packs He's an older feller but his kids borrow the machine and never fix nothin, I'm thrilled to return it better than when I borrowed it.

  20. #20hosspuller2019-06-13 19:01

    Well... He's shown you his true self. You're good to ignore his faults and still help. Gratitude is a rare thing today. I was helped (above & beyond) at the local big box hardware a few days ago. I called today asking for the manager. Got an immediate guarded response, until I said I wanted to appreciate the employee that helped. People get so used to being blasted, when gratitude is offered instead, they fall over with surprise.

  21. #21_Weldman_2019-06-14 00:32

    Only reason I know my neighbors is to know what I'm up against if anything goes down or ****. Other than that nearest neighbor is 2 miles up the road, I'm on dead end road with thousands of acres of BLM land next door to keep neighbors away and it's impossible to build on the other properties around me. Power doesn't run out there, that keeps them away, snow gets few feet deep in winter time, no internet lines out here, the livestock roam freely and it's 35 miles from nearest city with 25 miles of rock road. I'm 1000 ft up above the nearest city in elevation and it's not flat here so when it rains it' gets interesting.

  22. #22JD955SC2019-06-14 05:52

    I grew up on land without neighbors anywhere close (excepting family) and I really miss it. Currently living in a small town (way better than a big city at least) and while my current neighbors are strange at least they don’t bother us. I dread the next move because I’m sure I won’t get as lucky and will get some jack wagon who calls the cops for everything he deems wrong to harass us, just like one of those “neighbors from hell” stories you hear about.

  23. #23_Weldman_2019-06-14 22:17

    Had one of those neighbors, lost a house I was building to them and even went to jail over them. Though will say when she/he pass away in next few years they will die in misery paranoia from fear of me and the wrath I brought in return. Their "Golden Years" is tarnished and it's one reasons I moved out here before I ended up never getting out of jail. Hope it works out for you and remember it's always the one who calls 911 first who gets believed...

  24. #24funwithfuel2019-06-15 09:52

    Not always. They believe who they're friends with. That's why I dislike "townies" part of why I'm so filled with hate.

  25. #25Mother Deuce2019-06-15 09:58

    We got about 4,500,000 extra “townies” up this way.., I am sure we could spare a few million of them.

  26. #26funwithfuel2019-06-15 09:59

    No thanks. I'm good

  27. #27Mother Deuce2019-06-15 10:00

    LOL!

  28. #28DMiller2019-06-15 10:01

    We have a total of around 5000 residents within 20 miles of us, I too am happy not to live in a Big Town.

  29. #29Mother Deuce2019-06-15 10:04

    I have to live in the commuter lemmings nightmare... it seems to be where the best wage rates live. A little frustrating because I love Alaska, Colorado and Arizona

  30. #30funwithfuel2019-06-15 10:27

    In the far southwest suburbs of Chicago here. Yeah, I got my share of human debris to deal with.

  31. #31check2019-06-15 10:48

    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” ― Mark Twain

  32. #32aighead2019-08-06 16:10

    I'm a helper at pretty much any cost and I don't expect or typically take anything in return. I live and mess with my backhoe in a pretty urban country setting, meaning we all have 2-6 acres but we can mostly still see each other. For the most part it's just me and my immediate neighbor helping each other as we can but I'm looking forward to plowing come snowy season and I'll always help someone out of a ditch. When I first rented a backhoe last winter some guys managed to pull their Taurus deep into some muck in the empty property next to me. They shouldn't have been there and they quickly found out why they shouldn't have tried. Luckily I'd just had the backhoe dropped off and my first opportunity to drive it was getting them ripped out of the mud. They were appreciative but it felt nice being helpful. I'm one that would much rather live around a bunch of folks happy to drop what they are doing to help because they know you'd do the same.

  33. #33Andy1845c2019-08-20 22:57

    I like this thread. You're all people I would fit in with. I have equipment around more as a hobby than as a business and occasionally neighbors have asked be to help them with it. I always help if I can and don't expect anything in return. Next door neighbor asked me to help him cut a tree down this spring. He's in his 70's. Miserable lumpy type tree. Spent two evenings cutting it up. ASked me what I owed him. Nothing. Got some good conversation. Got some good exercise. Got to play with my big chainsaw. Works for me.