Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good or not

Hunter17 ยท 2016-10-29 02:33

So I'm hoping to get started in the industry and am working for a farmer that has an old w900 a 1974 with a 290 13 speed it's got the 36" sleep I believe it is a descent truck was wondering if the 290 would or wouldn't be good enough I have no credit so a newer truck will have to wait I also could pay my boss off good idea or not

Replies7
  1. #1Steve Frazier2016-10-29 02:59

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums! What is it you're planning to do with the truck? I hauled freight with the 290 here in the northeast back in the early 80s. Our region is a lot more hilly than where you are, the 290 wasn't fast but it always got there. With the 13 speed you have more versatility than a lesser transmission.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2016-10-29 05:42

    The 290 has been around for A LONG TIME.. Plenty of parts available for low $.. even whole engines if needed.. and a lot of HP upgrades. Inj's. pumps, turbo's. I cant comment on the truck itself.. but look at , suspension, brakes, air, lights. tire wear pattern, and lets not forget about the frame.. ect.. What do you plan on doing w/ it is the real question..?? The 290 isn't going to pull a D10 cat over any mountains.. so your going to have to plan accordingly. Fix it up, drive it a few years and when the repair costs exceed the income costs, dump it..

  3. #3JBGASH2016-10-29 05:45

    Hunter, Is this a dump truck? What exactly are you going to focus on?

  4. #4lantraxco2016-10-29 13:22

    290 is fine if it's in good shape, just won't accelerate as fast or go over hills as fast as big power trucks. 36" sleeper, I don't think I could turn over in that, lol. So yeah, are you planning on hauling freight or?

  5. #5Hunter172016-10-31 22:56

    my plan with the truck is to do a little tlc and make it road worthy then stay close to home hauling with a hopper or side dump nothing to big i would have the ablity to turn it up a little

  6. #6Hunter172016-10-31 23:00

    and no it is not a dump truck

  7. #7lantraxco2016-11-01 12:04

    I think it should be fine for local operations, back when I was driving we ran end spills and bellies with 350's and they had plenty of snoose, but of course dropped a few gears on the hills (some at 6%). Never really needed big power until we got into the 100K+ extended permits and then a 425 horse 3406 made me smile. Jake brake is kind of a must.