Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good relocatable buildings for equipment storage

rorybagleys ยท 2016-04-08 16:35

We're looking at different storage buildings to use for maintenance on the machines. Loaders, dumpers. Needs to be relocatable so we can move it in a few years. We've been looking at fabric buildings like these . Haven't really be able to come up with any other ideas. I'm curious if anyone has used a fabric building or has any ideas for other building types.

Replies5
  1. #1DoyleX2016-04-08 21:29

    Containers stacked like giant legos

  2. #2old-iron-habit2016-04-08 23:13

    I dont remember the building builder but in the 70's when I worked for Johnson Brothers we used portable insulated shops that came folded up in 10 ft wide sections. The building's were 40 ft wide and we hoisted them with a crane and the sides folded out from under the roof. Added as many sections as we needed for length. Took a day and a half to set uo a 40 by 100 on a prepared slab. End walls were prefabbed also.

  3. #3Turbo218352016-04-09 10:43

    Stack Shipping containers like legos as stated earlier. Use bar joists and sheet metal for a roof between boxes. Just make sure one side is slightly higher than the other for water to run off. Go one step farther and put roll up doors in the shipping containers like you would see at a self storage place so you have easy access and an easy way to secure tools and supplies

  4. #4Delmer2016-04-09 10:58

    I like that method, even though I don't see why anybody likes shipping containers? Depending on local market, you can get van trailers for much less than containers and do a similar roof on two trailers, unless you need the height of stacked containers. I suppose you could do scissors trusses for more headroom in the middle, but that defeats the point of making it easy enough to set up and take down.

  5. #5check2016-04-10 17:24

    Shipping containers do have the advantage of being lower to the ground and being much more sturdy and secure. I've owned many of them in my life and regard them as a pretty good investment. You have a building that doesn't require a concrete foundation and as stated earlier you can put a roof across two or four or eight. I don't think a van trailer could support the extra weight, especially if snow load is an issue.