Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good, side certifications to have.

MrMechanic ยท 2011-01-08 14:57

OSHA 10 going to be looking into Traffic Control Flagger I'll be taking in a few weeks for temp work. What else is a good cert to have? Scaffolding? etc.? For one going into H.E.O. or H.E.R. What are good side certs that you would recommend to have that could open up some "extra money gigs" when the equipment isn't running, or repairs are all done.?

Replies18
  1. #1HSV1272011-01-08 15:38

    Welding ticket/s

  2. #2boaterri2011-01-08 16:24

    Not that this will make you any xtra money but a CPR/AED/first responder certification would be an excellent addition to your resume. Where your working may not have a "standard address" and 911 has become so dependant on standardized addresses and GPS that if you can't give them information that they are accustomed to, help can be a long time away even if the fire house is just around the corner. As I said, possibily no extra money but the qualification may get you the job. Good luck, Rick

  3. #3MrMechanic2011-01-08 20:32

    Getting extra money isn't everything. Getting the job is what matters. =) Any other recommendations?

  4. #4Dualie2011-01-08 21:16

    40 hr hasmat wouldn't hurt your chances, also arieal work platform and forklift certs are a good idea. Im sending out several of my guys to school to become certified riggers from NCCCO within the next couple of months.

  5. #5Lee-online2011-01-08 21:22

    MSHA Certifications are always needed around here.

  6. #6stumpjumper832011-01-08 21:34

    cdl class A, forklift card are two that come to mind. Personally flagger is almost the last cert i'd want.

  7. #7S.R.E.2011-01-08 21:41

    Same with me. If you don't have the flagging cert they can't make you flag. And if your the only extra guy with the flagging cert guess what your going to end up doing.

  8. #8MrMechanic2011-01-09 01:28

    So far: OSHA 10 MSHA? (I'll have to look it up) Forklift Definitely going to look into how much it costs to be a Rigger. Class A CDL Anything else? And going for the Flagger Cert to increase job chances. Work is work, and it's something I kinda need right now... lol

  9. #9John C.2011-01-09 01:28

    If you are looking for work in Washington State as mechanic it is very helpful to have the CDL A with air brake and hazardous endorsements. The forklift paper is also a nice thing to have as the inspectors like to pick at those things. There isn't much mining left for coal or hard rock so unless you're doing something special MSHA is not something to be concerned about here. If you are coal mining the employer has to supply MSHA anyway. The safety and first aid cards are a big plus if you are working your way to supervisory jobs. The welding cert is talked about a lot but unless you are welding on buildings, signs or street lights you don't need it and no body pays employees more for it anyway. It might help get you hired somewhere. If you are working on trucks some of the dealers like to see some completed ASE testing. If you are in logging most of the employers don't care about any certs. They just want someone who will work. Good Luck!

  10. #10MrMechanic2011-01-09 01:34

    I appreciate the input. Just working on gettinig things in order, ya know? And that goes for everyone who's replied in this thread. Thank you very much for the info! =)

  11. #11Turbo218352011-01-09 10:16

    I carry a bunch of certs. Cdl A, air brakes, tankers, doubles/triples, and hazmat. Osha 40 hour hazwhop card, which also includes first aid/cpr. Forklift cert. I also have the Disaster Site Worker cert, which is required for any federal disaster site. Now on to specific training. I have the petroleum industry lost prevention training, RTC training which is required for Dow West Virginia Operations, Great Lakes Safety, Which is required from Dow Michigan Operations, Dow Corning Michigan Operations, and Hemlock Semi Conductor. I also Have Several Specific BP training certs. In my region most equipment operators/laborers/vocational truck drivers are laid off in December, and will not be back until frost laws have come off the roads, Which is late March/early April. As of right now, we have enough work to keep going until early/mid Feb. At that point in time, it is time to start the refresher classes for all that training anyway. I expect no more than a month off this season, and that will be due to frost laws basically shutting down any trucking in our area. The downside to all the special training, in order to use it and keep yourself busy, you may need to be ready to travel. I have been on the road for the last 4 months, from West Virginia, all the way to Wisconsin. We have had guys on the road for the last 9 months, and this year looks similar, if not more.

  12. #12shooterm2011-01-09 11:11

    Hehe I hated that at my old job. You could drive a tandem, jump in a grader yet you couldnt run a forklift in the yard unless you got carded. Its a stupid osha thing thats mixing construction with factory work.

  13. #13dust eater2011-01-09 11:55

    The forty hour haz mat is well worth the time and effort because there is money being funneled into the superfund right now. It got me into a landfill that should be open until I'm ready to retire.According to my union you can't get a job in a pit or a mine without the twenty four hour MSHA class. MSHA is the mining industries version of OSHA

  14. #14markshr1512011-01-09 13:54

    Usually people that own forklifts don't have the cert for them.

  15. #15qball2011-01-09 15:08

    hazwopr dsw msha osha 10 osha 30 forklift competent signal person

  16. #16shooterm2011-01-10 13:33

    Its funny there is a magical personel number where you need all the certifications and where its worthless. Last company I need everything and they paid for it. My new company they mocked I was a university erosion inspector/installer . Only certifaction I get this year is confined spaces training through a large local company(only good for them) so I can work at there property. Even had a run in with OSHA this year and they passed so many things my larger company would of been fined at it was ridicules. Actually pissed me off to be honest seems like there is two standards.

  17. #17MrMechanic2011-01-10 22:48

    I'd rather get what will get me the job easiest. =) LOL

  18. #18MrMechanic2011-01-10 23:16

    Hey, is being certified as a Topographic Surveyer/site surveyor a good thing to have on top of regular typical certs?