Hey guys I'm needing some advice from y'all! I got a 06 f550 with a 16' dump bed on it and I'm wondering if I could pull a 20' 10 ton gooseneck dump trailer I'm interested in. Could I get buy moving the hitch far enough back on my truck to pull it? I'd be using the trailer to haul clearing debris, brush, stumps, ect from clearing jobs. I'll attach a few pictures of my truck. Thanks! http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums...C-A945-4A6D-9F9F-0146FF05A311_zpse8hmr4pg.jpg
In that first pic I thought for a second: "Wow! Where'd he get a CAT small enough to fit in a 550?!"
X2 took me awhile to figure it out lol
in my opinion and experience it does work to have the GN behind the axel on a heavier truck. You still need common sense.most GN trailers can have 5000# on the neck. I would find something that weight 5000# and test it at a truck scale. In other words do the math to make sure all your axel weights are correct with the load in the location you need it.
I would do what markshr151 suggests, but I'm betting you'll have to shorten the overhang behind the axle to get the rig to handle properly.
When I was searching for a new-to-me flatbed to tow my GN, I ruled out quite a few trucks with beds that had too much overhang to get the hitch positioned above or in front of the rear axle. On my old F350, the hitch was welded in about 1" behind the axle centerline, and I never likes the way it towed. My flatbed's hitch is just in front of the axle and there's a ton of difference.
Could be done,BUT you could easily OVERLOAD the Hitch by loading too much on front of trailer. Sounds like an Accident waiting to happen!
Cut a foot or two off of the deck over hang and make sure your attachment point is an inch or two ahead of the rear axle. Also I do not think you would want to be pulling heavy loads and relying on the hydraulics to hold the truck bed down. I would make some sort of mechanical hold down on the front of the trucks deck and a PTO lock out(if it does not already have one) to keep people from trying to dump the deck with the mechanical hold down engaged. Cheers L.D.