Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gooseneck or pintle dump trailer?

Frank Stockman ยท 2020-01-16 17:26

I am looking to invest in a new dump trailer. I have a couple of F550s and 2 Chevy Duramax all with automatic transmissions. Which type hitch should be best for my purpose? I am wanting to haul gravel and various other materials. I am leaning toward 12,000 lb axles, and 3 foot sides. I would appreciate any wisdom.

Replies5
  1. #1AllDodge2020-01-16 18:19

    GN would be best IMO 24K gross

  2. #2suladas2020-01-26 17:01

    GN would be better as you'll be able to haul more. You could get one plated for 30k with 12k axles, whereas a bumper pull most would be 24-26k max and that's quite a bit for a bumper pull behind a F550.

  3. #3CM19952020-01-26 18:19

    GN for that kind of weight behind a light truck.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2020-01-26 22:38

    Another vote for gooseneck, the truck will be much more stable and safer

  5. #5gwhammy2020-01-29 07:59

    Gooseneck, I bought a pintle hitch with 12,000 lb. axles with a 20 straight deck last fall. Got it really cheap because of the configuration with the thought of making longer and gooseneck. Decided a couple weeks ago to move my 18,000 lb. excavator a couple miles on it behind my f350 just to see how it handled. Horrible to get balanced with that kind of weight on a pintle. Pulled it in the shop the next day and cut the tongue off just to keep my stupid self from trying that again. Pintle hitches are great behind two ton or heavier trucks where you can get the load really close to the rearend otherwise it's really hard to get the load balanced right in my opinion.