Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

got a cat 305 with this engine, anyone able to tell me engine info?

subdural · 2024-09-27 07:47

I got a used cat 305. cant read any of the plates for info. but anyone know by looking at this engine what type it is? I think the machine could be a 2004 or 2005 by some of the looks. I tried to go thru prior year by year to identify - but not much luck. Just want to change the filters and clean it up - but cant tell what engine or make/model it is. ty.

Replies23
  1. #1Nige2024-09-27 08:31

    There have been some cases recently with mini-excavators that were painted and badged as Cats but weren't. I hope this is not the case here because looking at that photo I have a baaaaad feeling......... Got any photos of either the machine or engine plates.? Also take a photo showing the location of the machine S/N plate on the machine. it will be interesting to compare its actual location with where the factory originally put it. Can you find a casting anywhere on the machine (doesn't matter where0 with a Cat logo and a Part Number on it.?

  2. #2subdural2024-09-27 09:16

    the body of the machine is def a 2004 or 2005 cat 305. no casting on the machine with numbers - makes me sad. I was wondering if the engine could be a kubota. Ill look again at engine for any numbers, but didnt see any. In the field the unit works great - good power - no issues. I just need to change filters and its so strange not knowing what engine is in a used piece!

  3. #3Nige2024-09-27 09:27

    Without photos it's hard to see what you're seeing. Did the thought cross your mind that the data plates are "hard to read" for a reason.? What do the controls inside the cab look like.? First thing I see regarding the engine is that the starter motor and alternator both appear to be on the wrong side of the engine for a 305 of that era, and the governor control looks wrong.

  4. #4EK7012024-09-28 01:49

    Definitely not a 305 CR engine/engine bay.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-09-28 05:25

    Injector pump is on the flywheel end. Reminds me of a deutz or hatz. its not a mistubishi or isuzu. Not a cat or kubota I’ve worked on. Got me stumped.

  6. #6Nige2024-09-28 06:48

    Question: does the Serial Number on the machine data plate start with "BMW".? There is a 305 model made for the Japanese-only market of BMW prefix (built 01-03 time frame) but the online system contains no information regarding it other than the fact it exists. I wonder if that could be a clue.? EDIT: Scratch that. The engine for the BMW-prefix 305 is listed as a Mitsubishi K4N and the one in the photo is obivously not that.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2024-09-28 07:26

    That is a kubota v3307 aka the c3.3 The kubota version ive seen in the us had a vacum operated egr on them. I have never found a cat applacation that in the us used the mechanical version jist the c3.3b common rail version

  8. #8Vetech632024-09-28 08:27

    Definitely a Kubota

  9. #9Cliffy2024-09-28 08:39

    First google image to come up. Good spot

  10. #10subdural2024-09-30 19:24

    appreciate the help in the posts. forum is very good.

  11. #11excavator2024-10-01 11:53

    Very rare to see a mini excavator that has both the starter & alternator plus the injection pump on the "I can actually get to that" side of the engine.

  12. #12Nige2024-10-10 09:17

    Tyler, do you have any clue as to whether or not Kubota manufactured the engine that is badged as the Cat C2.6.? If so, what Kubota model is it.? I'm going round in circles and finding nothing conclusive.

  13. #13Tyler d4c2024-10-10 14:15

    If im guessing right.

  14. #14Tyler d4c2024-10-10 14:20

    KUBOTA V2607 Engine (NEW) | Engineswarehouse.com Engineswarehouse.com - The largest selection of heavy machinery engines. New, used & remanufactured. engineswarehouse.com Link to a non teir4 one for sale for comparison. Apears much like the 3.3 both tier 4 and mechanical injection models where made

  15. #15Nige2024-10-10 14:33

    Thanks. Confirms what I was thinking but could not nail down 100%. See HERE . Now it all makes sense because actually it isn't a 305........

  16. #16Tyler d4c2024-10-10 15:12

    So what in the green earth is it?

  17. #17Nige2024-10-10 15:27

    Click the link and find out........

  18. #18Tyler d4c2024-10-10 15:28

    Silly me i thought it was taking me to the top of this thread

  19. #19thepumpguysc2024-10-10 19:36

    Take a flashlight and have a look for the data plate behind the inj pump.. Although it’s already been I.D.

  20. #20Mechanic_Caterpillar2024-10-11 12:14

    In my opinion, small excavators have Mitsubishi engines installed.

  21. #21Tyler d4c2024-10-11 12:31

    These for a matter of fact do not. They are infact kubota engines

  22. #22Nige2024-10-11 12:33

    The 306E has a Cat C2.6 (aka Kubota V2607) mechanical injection engine installed. In another thread the owner of this machine actually managed to find the engine Serial Number. It started with - V2607....... See attached.

  23. #23Joe H2024-10-11 13:00

    Even a picture in the brochure