Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got an hour? Hear me on a podcast.

Hallback · 2021-11-10 22:29

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...zYtN2I1MC00YzZlLTliNmItNDlhMDBjZTMyMDQ0?ep=14

Replies36
  1. #1skyking12021-11-10 23:56

    Cool, will do!

  2. #2Coaldust2021-11-11 02:14

    Tag for later!

  3. #3Hallback2021-11-11 06:15

    I've been asked countless times in the last few years to do one & even start one but never have before. Hell, I thought I had to have an iPod to do it!

  4. #4Vetech632021-11-11 08:18

    Does this podcast have women in it?

  5. #5Hallback2021-11-11 09:40

    Not this episode

  6. #6Camshawn2021-11-11 19:31

    Saved for later…….

  7. #7hoechucker2021-11-15 20:42

    When do these air? I guess you would.

  8. #8Hallback2021-11-15 20:47

    You can play them anytime. New episodes are released on the 10th & 25th.

  9. #9hoechucker2021-11-15 20:57

    10th and 25th? Could call it the payday podcast. I'll give it a try tomorrow while I'm watching the yarder engineer watch me

  10. #10Hallback2021-11-16 20:18

    Hows the yarder producing?

  11. #11hoechucker2021-11-16 20:30

    The Shelton yarder is running good. The one that's for sale is just sitting at our shop next to our 255b. Looks pretty sad. Enjoyed the podcast, going to listen to more regularly

  12. #12Hallback2021-11-17 20:09

    That 255 is the one I'd like

  13. #13hoechucker2021-11-17 20:15

    Funny thing about that yarder is it came with a Boman and until this last year it has been ran with msp and they finally 8 years later they put an acme on there and the Boman just sits and collects dust

  14. #14Hallback2021-11-17 20:35

    Are they on drugs?

  15. #15hoechucker2021-11-17 21:06

    Scared of a free carriage hitting the ground I guess. I used to love working under those big red skycars

  16. #16Hallback2021-11-17 21:14

    They definitely get the most wood of any dropline carriage

  17. #17DCT2022-11-13 02:16

    You’re still one of Jason’s best guests, we use to work at the same aggregate company but I knew him even before that.

  18. #18Hallback2022-11-13 09:19

    Thanks. I've been thinking about starting my own. Basically Joe Rogan meets blue collar folk.

  19. #19DCT2022-11-13 11:41

    That would be awesome, ranting about hand cutters and truck drivers is almost a full time job though.

  20. #20Hallback2022-11-13 14:59

    Both are necessary evils but ho-lee-fuk is it painful to listen to them when they speak. Trying to act smart when you aren't makes you look/sound even dumber.

  21. #21DCT2022-11-13 15:19

    It was rough growing up when my dad had 7 drivers, he always use to say those who can do, teach and those who can’t teach drive truck.

  22. #22Mike L2022-11-13 19:27

    I wish you would start that podcast. Hell, I’d help you out.

  23. #23Truck Shop2022-11-13 20:03

    Hot damn a podcast---I have a lot of pods to cast.

  24. #24Hallback2022-11-13 20:26

    Oh, don't you worry TS, you WOULD be on it!

  25. #25Hallback2022-11-13 20:27

    I don't know any of the technical issues to do it, I just have a set of lips. Wait..... That didn't sound right.........

  26. #26Mike L2022-11-13 20:36

    Hahahahaha! “Welcome to the must be nice podcast. Please check your feelings at the door”

  27. #27Truck Shop2022-11-13 21:01

    That's trying to pick up a turd from the clean end.

  28. #28Hallback2022-11-13 21:25
  29. #29Truck Shop2022-11-13 21:38

    Yeah, yeah, yeah as Gayle would say. lol

  30. #30FarmWrench2022-11-23 14:08

    Thank you for doing this. I enjoyed listening while loading the dryer. (Corn) Made me realize a few things I didn't know I didn't know. What exactly is a "Shovel" and how exactly does it make a different type of logging? (Apparently not just an excavator with a grapple for loading trucks!) Episode with the truck driver saying he delivers to 16 different mills was unexpected.

  31. #31Hallback2022-11-23 21:40

    Thank you! A shovel Yes basically like an excavator only with a different boom on it for lifting instead of digging and generally has a better guarding package and hike clearance under carriage. Those walk around out in the unit and swing the trees to the road instead of using a yarder with a crew of guys on the ground setting chokers to yard the logs to the road.

  32. #32JPV2022-11-24 01:27

    Farmwrench, hauling logs is pretty unique in that when you leave in the morning, usually 2 to 3 am, you don't know where you will be sent when you get to the landing and the shovel operator loads you, he decides. You don't know how many loads you will get in a day (usually 2 - 4) which depends on how far the mills are and how busy they are, some busy mills can get backed up and you sit for an hour and a half or you are in and out in 15 minutes. You have no idea when you will get home and probably don't know the rates to know how much money you made. 12 to 14 hour days are normal. Some hauls can pay really well, others terrible. Hopefully you get enough good ones that it works out. Each mill has it's own way of doing things and it takes a while to get comfortable going all the different places there are to go. Yet after all that you keep going back because the alarm goes off again the next morning and nobody makes any money until the logs get to the mill. It makes no difference how many logs a logger can get to the landing in a day, it's how many loads to the mill in a day. I enjoy it.

  33. #33Truck Shop2022-11-24 13:40

    A few years back logs were hauled from the Cascades to Elgin Or mill, the trucks backed up was a average of 30. It was odd seeing a loaded log truck on 240 at Vernita Ferry.

  34. #34Truck Shop2022-11-24 16:17

    https://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/7549466249.html

  35. #35FarmWrench2022-11-24 16:24

    Very interesting. Here in NY, Western NY, it's not uncommon for the logs to be sold and paid for at the landing and the trucking arrangements made by the mill. There's almost no softwood market outside of the Amish and the off/oddball times that the government has decided to burn chips with coal (think that's long gone). Private land can get managed many different ways. I find it odd to hear the "They were just pillaging!". Sometimes you want the land cleared!

  36. #36FarmWrench2022-11-24 16:28

    I wish I had one of those around here for cleaning ponds.