Last Thursday I thought I got dust in my eye when a few guys came out to my MX track. My eye was kind of sore and not red or anything so I put some drops in hoping it would clean everything out. Also thought I could have a bit of a cold. A few days later and stiil sore and now a little red. I took a closer look and noticed I now have what appear to be 3 puffy bug bites in a row on the side of my forehead about 1/2 an inch from my eye. They look like giant mosquito bites but I suspect some kind of wasp bite. The right side of my scalp is a little sensitive and my right eyebrow aches. There are some pretty big wasps out there so that's what I'm thinking bit me. Thinking I should get it checked out. Anybody ever had bites that make your eyebrow feel like tiny wires sticking out of your head? Not super painful but irritating.
Goo dude! Don't know what kind of crazy Canadian bugs there are but with those kind of symptoms, slowly getting worse, I'd definitely get checked out. If it was some bad spider that could get bad quick!
I'd think mosquitoes, black flies or something similar. Wasps you'd feel right away. No idea about the symptoms though.
All I can say is check out Nige's thread on his son's bug bite! HeavyEquipmentForums
It's not as bad as Nige's son's foot but I'm going to get it checked out right away.
Ok, I had a Dr. look at it and it could be some kind of bite and got a prescription and antibiotic cream to put on it. I also picked some allergy pills that may help. The other possibility is shingles. She said insect bites don't usually cause sensitivity to areas away from the bites. I will see how it goes for the next day or 2 and go back if it's not improving. Pharmacist said to pay attention to it because it is so close to the eye. Edit: Didn't think it was nearly as bad as Nige's sons foot but reading online, shingles can cause loss of eye sight. Hopefully it's not that serious.
My eyelid is starting to get puffy and my scalp aches if I rub it lightly so I'm pretty sure it's shingles. I got some pills and cream to put on it so hopefully it clears up. Sad part is looks like it usually takes 7-10 days. Damn!
Boo, I hope you feel better, man! I've heard shingles can be rough!
I just had to
I have heard the same. Thing is many years ago I had this strange rash on one side of my back that was diagnosed as shingles and everyone told me how bad it can be. I was almost embarrassed to say it bothered me less than it did my wife who had to look at it! Just did a search on getting it a second time and see this:"One study found that within 7 years, the odds of getting it again may be almost 5%. That's about the same as the odds of getting shingles the first time." So not sure if it gets worse the second time, maybe I should be careul about how I talk about it! Those bugs might be listening!
Pretty sore today. It's easier keeping my eye closed. It's not comfortable having constant pressure on your eye like there's something in it.
Man that's awful, take care of yourself and take it easy, eyes are kinda important....
You need to have your woman cater to your every whim. Whine alot and give her the sad puppy eyes.
The first shingle shots that were around 4 years ago were found to only be 30% effective. So anyone who had a shot around that time needs to go back and get the later 93% effective dose.
Well at least one probably already looks pretty sad! Good luck and take care and bug the doctor if it does not get better fast!
Not sure if I ever got "the shot" at the time I had the shingles it was assumed that you were immune after that then wee all know what "ASSUME" means! I think I do some digging in mde. records in morning to see if I ever got the shot and when it was.
I had shingles about 18 years ago (no shot given, doc said just let it run it’s course). Was told stress can be a trigger, I said I am not a stressful person. I had it on lower back, on one side of my backbone, still have the scares to prove it. For me it was a deep pain that you couldn’t get deep enough to. I hope you are doing better.
I've been told it should be treated very aggressively if it gets near the eye.
Thanks so much for the well wishes. Most of the time it's easier to keep that eye closed. Will see how it is in the morning and go back to the Dr. if it's still so sore.
You could always get an eye patch and pretend your a pirate
Arrrgh!! Younger brother just got over a bout of shingles, ugly condition. Anyone ever to have had Chicken Pox already has the virus inside, just dormant until finds a excuse to light off. His was a minor round but his doc stated he will need the Shingles vaccine every three-four years to keep from getting again. Got my vaccination last year so hope am good.
Went back to see the Dr. I've been seeing for 30 years. She said shingles right away and prescribed the right medication and a stronger pain killer. Said the other medication wouldn't do anything and it's a little late but put me on it anyway. She also said it's common and I was the 2nd case this week. It's pretty swollen around my eye and feels like there's a stick stuck in me eye. Not fun at all. Dr. said the vaccine is good but I wouldn't need to take it for 2 years.
Great to hear a good doctor report. Did she say how long till you're over it?
Didn't say how long it should take but told me to stay home for a week. If the medication is too late it basically has to run it's course and there's no real cure for it. The shingles vaccine can help in the future but I won't need that for 2 years. Hoping the new meds help. It's very uncomfortable.
Is it as bad as Arc Eyes?
I've been flashed before where it feels like someone is pouring sand in your eye but is usually better the next day. This feels like if a corner of your head including your eye was was blown off by a shot gun and is still burning. It's pretty sensitive to touch and constantly sore in the eye. I've had worse pain but this feels like my eyeball is 3 sizes too big with something stuck in it. My eye is also draining a lot. Here's the symptoms. https://www.umkelloggeye.org/conditions-treatments/herpes-zoster-shingles-eye
Sooooo not as bad as arc eyes....but similar to a shotgun blast to the side of your head and eye....soooo you're saying it's not that bad....I'm obviously breaking your stones and after reading how you're feeling my eye is starting to hurt too, the whole thing sounds awful and I hope the meds work and you start feeling better sooner than later....
Wait, we've been calling this shingles, but you actually have herpes ? Does the significant other know? Do you want the significant other to know? More importantly- did the significant other know quite a bit of time before you knew, and the reason she knows is because- wait don't answer that. I don't wanna know and I don't want you to think I was implying something before you even thought about me implying it. I'm going to erase all this and start over. Maybe you just have covid. That would be easier to talk about. In my defense- you did start this out by saying something bit you.
There are several types of herpes and Zoster is not genital herpes.
Come on truck shop, I know that and you know that, but it might add some excitement in welder dave's domestic situation.....
Well I think at this moment in his life he probably doesn't need too much more excitement domestic or other wise, I believe he is feeling pretty poor health wise.
It's a lot worse than getting flashed. it's more sticking the hot rod in your eye. Going to get some help to hopefully post some pics. It's hard to open my eye and $%$#@! sore.
damn that looks rough . hang in there
I have bumps all through my scalp. Too hard to try and hold my eye open for the pic.
Rest Enjoy the time at home Let life move on and this should clear up
It seems to be getting a little better but my eyelid is still puffed up so it's hard to open my eye. Blisters are getting scabs which is apparently a good thing. The soreness isn't just around my eye though, the top of my head aches and my jaw aches. Eye still feels like there's a stick in it and with the blisters draining stings a little too.
well, Mr. Welder Dave , how are you now, can you share, the opinion of the doctor? what was that? lastly, get well soon
It should clear up in about a week. It is getting better but still sore and hard to keep my eye open. It's draining and gets crusty, kind of gluing my eye closed until I put some water on it. You ever wake up and your eye is stuck shut when you have a cold or something?
I can kind of open my eye a bit today so that's an improvement. Still sore but not as bad. Didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to take a pain killer.
That's good.
My wife has had shingles for about 5 or 6 weeks now. She got it on her face with blisters mostly on her scalp and neck. The side of her face was paralyzed from eye to chin. Very painful. It is slowly getting better. The EM Dr gave her an antiviral that helped nock it back. She made me get the shot. Hope you recover soon. Cam
I'm doing much better now, thanks. I can't imagine having it for 5 or 6 weeks. I'm sure your wife would understand when I say my hair and my eyebrow hurt on the right side of my head. Was her eye affected? Mine felt like someone stuck a stick in it and I couldn't get it out. Wishing her a full recovery. Scalp is still a little sensitive and slightly itchy. Eyelid and blisters have pretty much drained but still have scabs that thankfully aren't too itchy. Still some soreness in the eye and a bit of a headache but much more bearable. I wouldn't wish shingles like I had on anyone. It spreads pretty fast from first thinking it was some kind of insect bite.
Oh, that's really hurting. she will be fine, in a few days, my prayers are with you.
Yesterday I was doing good so only took 1 pill for pain last night. That was a mistake as I had a pretty good headache (not as bad as before) and my eyelid drained a bunch more overnight. It's a little difficult to open my eye right now but it seems like once I'm up for awhile after laying down it gets better. I think it's a gravity thing and when I get up it allows it to drain better. Only today and tomorrow for the anti-viral medication so have my fingers crossed my eye will be somewhat back to normal.
My wife’s eye is ok, just has to add eye drops every few hours because she can’t blink that eye. She is getting desperate for a haircut but the scalp is not ready yet. Hope you recover soon. Cam
I guess it's going to take a while to recover. Still have a bit of a headache, sore eye socket and scalp ache. This morning woke up and below my eye is all puffed up and full of fluid. My jaw still aches too. Weird that it felt better 2 days ago.
As with any basically infection, will ebb and flow like a tide for awhile. Relax, take a load off and enjoy at least SOME of the time off.
I'm just glad I can open my eye and it doesn't feel like there's still a stick in it. I can actually get some sleep so that's good too. Have heard it can take a couple month's for full recovery.
Still get headaches at night so now I know why the pain prescription said to start off with 1 pill twice a day for the first 2 days and then take 2 pills twice a day. I can also take Advil in between if required which helps. Thankfully the scabs aren't too itchy.
Went out for supper and Sleep Country was right beside the restaurant. Partner said to go in and look at pillows that may help with my headache. She bought me a fancy Tempur-Pedic pillow that was on sale for just under $200. I was kind of shocked. Headache seemed to be a little worse today and I was tired all day. https://www.sleepcountry.ca/tempur-pedic-adapt-pillow/product/18ADSIDEPIL
I'm sorry, but I just don't think I could enjoy a pillow, knowing it cost $200. My wife offered to buy me a "My Pillow" for my birthday, and I said "heck no! no $50 pillows for me!"
I'll guess I'll see how my head feels in the morning. A lot of people say a good pillow can make a huge difference. I'm not going to support the My Pillow guy.
Pillow seems to help as it cradles my head better than a standard pillow and I'm not switching sides and turning over as often. Last couple of days have had more of a headache but I don't think it's because of the pillow. I don't know if it's the healing process or just common to have more discomfort some days. Some days I can open my eye more. I think the pain meds make me tired too.
My neck repair has been antagonizing me of late, tried several different pillow arrangements nothing so far is working. Had three degraded disc, C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7, the Doc replaced the final two as were the worst, 4/5 is barking and angry and insurance NOT willing to pickup the third, REFUSE to. So have to await a little more time, Doc's take is build a pattern of history turn in to Medicare and they will agree to replace, then Insurance HAS to foot the supplemental. Will be looking at the pillow you are using, may extend the time I am nursing along.
I got one like this at a JC Penny's. The higher side goes under your neck. Just fantastic !
Wish it had Have one the wife uses now Never could sleep on my back Side sleeper Rt Sacrum Iliac joint is hosed Lower back is still a mess Lay flat and within a hour am wide awake in pain walking it off Sleep on side neck hurts in a few hours roll to other side get a couple more Operate on 5-6 hours sleep on good days All too much been injured antagonized repaired and re-injured My own fault and accept it Been screwing up body parts since was three
It would be a great pillow for Welder Dave as it takes pressure off your face if you arrange it right but I would hate for him or his wife to hear that after spending $200 for a pillow !! LOL It's good for side sleeping since it keeps your spine straight. Maybe you just need more support or thicker, DMiller.
The low end memory foam pillows go flat a lot sooner. I tried a few in the store. The pillow I got has a 5 year warranty and a removeable, washable cover. It feels firm but actually seems softer and contours to your head when you lay your head on it. Like anything else you get what you pay for. Keep in mind the $200 is Canadian. Wouldn't be surprised if it's about $120 US.
So I'm scheduled for spine surgery #5 (5 in 5 years). on Oct 29th. I sleep on my side. Once my fusions were healed/complete and I didn't have to sleep on my back, I left the sofa I was sleeping on and went back to the baffled waterbed. I find that bed very comfortable with my L3-S1 vertebrae fused. For pillows, I like a soft feather type pillow on top of a stiffer pillow. That keeps my head "level" with my spine. Then there's 2 behind those two to keep them in place otherwise they "walk out" from under my head. If I use just the 2 piled up, my head ends up against the headboard. My bride of 45 years (yesterday ) doesn't like the waterbed anymore. I don't like a regular mattress anymore. So since we are empty nesters, she sleeps in our daughters old bed. I can roll from one side to the other without disturbing her and vice versa. After 45 years it's not like we scrump like rabbits anymore.
We have a Air Adjustable Sleep Number bed, Wife's side is like a rock, mine like a sponge, had it like a rock for a week at varied pressure, went back to squishy and my Lumbar to Sacrum became less angry, still angry just less. May trade this one in on a Sleep Number elevating head, hospital be even hard as a rock and I got along so long as head was elevated some.
Vision in your eye ok dave? Its just the swelling around it that makes it uncomfortable?
Vision seems OK, kind of cloudy but I think that's because it's still healing and at times still draining. Headache seems to radiate from my temple and eye socket but the top of my head above the eye is sensitive and my top jaw on that side aches at times. Got some pretty good scabs on my temple, forehead and top of my head but that's supposed to be a good thing. Stayed at home and didn't do much yesterday and today. Seem pretty tired but could be from the pain med. I'm taking, Gabapentin. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-14208-8217/gabapentin-oral/gabapentin-oral/details
Took gabapentin for Trigeminal Neuralgia Nerve on left side of my face went nuts due to some dental butchery The pills turned on a magic sleep button in My ass. Could take one first of the morning on third day of script sit down to watch tv(was off work) and POOF I would awaken about two shows later. Get up go pee come back and sit down bump the magic button and POOF dinner time. Stayed that way until stopped taking. Kept the pain monster at bay,
I took 2 of them last night and about 1/2 an hour later went to bed but felt a headache coming on. Thought once I laid down would feel better but after about 2 hours took an Advil because the headache wasn't going away. Under eye is still puffy with fluid and drained some over night. Head was itchier than normal but seems better today. I wish they would put me to sleep. My magic button must have a short.