Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got into IUOE apprenticeship. Already irritated.

fishingmike · 2015-05-01 14:26

So I got accepted into this apprenticeship. The first step is a 6 week safety and orientation class where you learn the basics on how to operate all of the equipment, once that is over you get put on the work list until your called. This class also cost 4,000$. At the interview they told me I wouldn't have to travel MUCH and that they try to keep you within 45 miles of the zone. They also said the longest anybody has waited is 3 weeks between the orientation class and getting hired. Well it's already 4 weeks into this class and the list of 28 out of work apprentices from previous years hasn't even moved the past month. My class of 23 will be put behind them. We're all thinking ***?? And one guy asked so what are the odds of us going to work THIS YEAR? The instructor said well that depends on if this new transportation bill goes through. This is not at all what I was told or what I expected. Normally when you get accepted into an OJT apprenticeship it is just that, you get accepted and you work. So basically I left behind a good job and paid 4,000$ for a 6 week class so I can MAYBE go to work some day. **** it's like going to the marine corps recruiter all over again. On top of that they said that no apprentices can be requested by name by a company. Well there's this girl in our class who isn't worth a damn. She just smokes cigarettes all day and doesn't even try to get on the equipment. One time she got on the scraper and couldn't even drive the damn thing, let alone cut or fill properly. Well what do you know her husband works for a big union contractor and she already has a job lined up as soon as she gets out even though she's one of the most worthless in our class, so I'm really starting to get a sour taste in my mouth about this entire thing. I could see myself doing this for the rest of my life, I'm good at it and enjoy doing it, but it looks like I'm gonna have to start looking for new opportunities. Maybe you guys can give me some solid advice or convince me to stick with it. Thanks for reading my diary post.

Replies26
  1. #1Buckethead2015-05-01 17:48

    What local? They charge you for it now? Never heard of that before. It does kind of sound like you're not giving it a chance, though .

  2. #2Shimmy12015-05-01 18:10

    Are all the contractors around there union?? Shouldn't be a problem to get hired with a non-union company. Just my 2¢.

  3. #3JNB2015-05-01 18:17

    Sounds like the school needs to get on the ball. In the new issue of Compact Equipment there's an article titled "How Will You Find Workers?". Among other things it lists the top five jobs that are and will be the hardest to fill in the next five years. #1 is "Operator (heavy equipment).

  4. #4mowingman2015-05-01 20:12

    Come on down to Texas. You can most likely find an equipment operator's job in less than a week. Of course, it will be non-union, with somewhat lower pay, but year round work with no layoffs.

  5. #5CascadeScaper2015-05-01 21:35

    All of what you're saying is true, it's a rough go as an apprentice. I'm still scratching my head on how you were charged $4,000 because I didn't pay for my initial training, every journeyman in the local chips in amount hourly to cover the costs associated with running our training center. We train our own and train our replacements. I think the union thing there in MD is just tough, I know some guys that worked out there years ago and said it's a whole new ball game. The folks with no talent who have family getting them in are going to get jobs, just the way it is. Yes it probably happens more often in union side of things than non-union, has nothing to do with union except for the wages are better, that's it. Those folks usually don't last and are usually the ones that can't hold their own in the field anyhow. Don't let them discourage you. I've seen plenty of them and very few are actually worth a damn. As far as traveling goes, it happens. I was lucky to not have to travel too much as an apprentice but I did travel, work graveyard shifts, all the BS an apprentice deals with and now I'm close to home and have a great boss I get along with. Now, I can't speak for them taking on 23 new apprentices when they still have some sitting from last year, that sucks but it happens. When I started in 2008, there were 50 of us and only 20 went to work. I worked for a month and had 9 months off. It's rough man, if there's not much work there isn't much they really can do. I will tell you that this was the best move I ever made for my career. I did get some lucky breaks along the way but I've had my bumps and bruises too and it can be feast or famine. Best of luck

  6. #6Buckethead2015-05-01 22:01

    Yeah, I call shenanigans on that. (on the original post, I mean) I never heard of them charging tuition before.

  7. #7GregD12015-05-01 22:33

    I got through the program years ago and never heard of them charging for anything. Better get used to the "minority" individual working while you dont, union or not doesn`t matter. Are they still using oilers on the larger excavator jobs and on cranes ? That`s where most guys end up in the first year or so. I stuck with welder/mechanic route and never missed a days work. I didn`t then and still don`t want to run a machine all day. It`s all what you want to make it, hang in there.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2015-05-01 22:36

    I to am puzzled about the $4,000 fee. As stated above the members contribute to the apprenticeship fund with every hour worked. This almost sounds like one of the private "schools" that are popping up promising union jobs but can't forfill them when work gets slow. Apprenticeship schools normally try not to take more than they can put to work and the school is spread out over the life of the apprenticeship, usually 4 years. Of course if a lot of hiway work was expected and the Federal dollars never got allocated the hall could pile up, but it sounds like a serious overload there. Has the summer uptick in work started there yet. Frost is still in the ground here and the road jobs are delayed. Is this the school for the whole state? A total of 50 people can empty out fast when the jobs break although there probably is journeyman sitting around waiting to get called back to their old jobs. Good Luck.

  9. #9fishingmike2015-05-01 22:51

    *** why would I make up the 4,000$ charge?? Call shinanigans all you want. Journeymen also pitch in 60 cents an hour to the training site. And this program is through the union, not some Offshoot program promising a union job or whatever. You can't get into the apprenticeship without this class.

  10. #10fishingmike2015-05-01 23:08

    That's why I'm pissed about this situation. I left the electrical union to do this. There the apprentices were first priority, they took in as many as would be hired. There were no out of work apprentices. Here it seems like they accepted everybody who applied jus for that 4,000$ check and now everyone's SOL. They also said we would get our CDLs which is all great but now all of a sudden we can't until we become indentured by a company. So the months (if I'm lucky) that I'll be waiting between orientation and work can't be used to get certs.

  11. #11anonymous2015-05-02 19:30

    What local? 37? 77? I always tell peple that I STRONGLY think getting in as a journeyman (IF you have experience) is better, but the apprentaship is actually a legitimate way to learn the trade, nothing wrong with the training. You're in it now, if you want to be an operator this is your chance, I advise you stick with it.

  12. #12fishingmike2015-05-02 20:03

    I don't live in MD anymore. I'm not gonna say what local it is because id hate for someone from there to read this and give me a bad name. I don't have enough experience to buy a book and get on the D list as a journeyman. I'm excited to be an operator but I don't like how they BS'd me around. I have a kid on the way due in September and I was told Id be working after this orientation class but now it's looking like a shot in the dark. I left the electrical union with benefits and good pay to pursue this but I'm not sure what to do after this class. It's not like I can afford to sit around and pray that they call me for a job. I also don't want to start putting in applications for real jobs and work for a couple months and say oh sorry gotta go the union called me up.

  13. #13jaclo2015-05-03 19:13

    Why not? You have a kid on the way, forget about your personal issues, you have people depending on you now. Do what you have to do to provide man. Know what I mean? Wish ya all the best.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2015-05-03 21:08

    Did you get a withdrawal from the electrical union when you left to join the operating engineers? Check with them and see whats up.

  15. #15qball2015-05-03 22:01

    I call B.S. Tell me what local charges apprentices and I will call the D. O. L. and file a grievance on your behalf. Methinks you are full of baloney or are confused and went to a non union oe school.

  16. #16SeaMac2015-05-03 22:08

    To the OP, you left the IBEW for the IUOE? Here in Florida doing line work you can expect in excess of $45 per hour, as an earthmoving operator maybe, just maybe you'll get $27 per hour if you get into hoisting then you can make VERY good money but be bored senseless all day long. The IBEW has never charged for apprentices and at least here the IUOE is nearly extinct, having been on jobs with their operators I can safely say, their operating skills are seriously lacking, perhaps they too have family or friends in high places.

  17. #17Tinkerer2015-05-04 16:54

    The entire $4000 fee smells fishy to me. Who did you make the payment to ? I have been in the IUOE for 45 years and never heard of paying to get into an apprenticeship program. Didn't you get a withdrawal card from the electricians union ? If you did I would suggest you get back into an active status with them.

  18. #18old-iron-habit2015-05-04 20:22

    I remember the post from a few months back when he was thinking about leaving the electricians and going to the operators. I advised him them if he made the move to get a withdrawal card.

  19. #19fishingmike2015-05-04 22:18

    I sent you a private message

  20. #20fishingmike2015-05-04 22:25

    I paid the apprenticeship and training institute for my local. It's also the Place where all of the apprentices get hired out of. The journeyman out of work list is at the union hall and the apprentice out of work list is at the apprentice and training institute. Is it like that everywhere else too? I didn't withdrawl from the IBEW yet. I'm still in good standing with them paid up until next quarter. I'm not going back though I live 3,000 miles away now

  21. #21old-iron-habit2015-05-04 22:31

    You might check with the IBEW where you are at now. In Minnesota they are paying over scale on many jobs right now just to get people. Granted it stressful digging but the company I just retired from has had a call in to the operators local for over a week for 3 backhoe operators for the pumping stations owned by a large oil company and so far we have not got any.

  22. #22fishingmike2015-05-04 22:34

    That was my initial plan but the IBEW here won't take anybody that hasn't been a resident for at least a year. That's why I went to the operators.

  23. #23old-iron-habit2015-05-04 22:57

    Man, You can seem to catch a break.

  24. #24Buckethead2015-05-05 18:54

    I thought there was a truce on this board, an agreement about not attacking other people for being union or nonunion. And, unless something drastically changed recently Operators have never charged apprentices to join, either.

  25. #25digger242j2015-05-05 21:18

    Forum policy has been described as "aggressive neutrality" with respect to discussions of union vs. non-union issues. In other words, if everyone sticks to the facts, and avoids generalizations and personal opinions, discussions such as this one can continue. Going forward from here, I hope not to see any...

  26. #26fishingmike2015-05-05 22:25

    Things must've changed then. At least where I'm located. I feel like this thing was a scam from the get go. There's no way they didn't know that work would be slow. Coincidentally they brought in the biggest class they have taken (which I now realize is because they were hurting for money since work is slow). The 28 out of work apprentices from previous years still hasn't moved. Normally their classes are around 10 people and this one was almost 30. Basically I paid 4 grand for a hard hat, safety vest, and a first aid and forklift card.