It wasn't easy getting the 931B out but we did manage to get it out of the hole on a little bit firmer and higher ground. Used the skid steer to boost it and then had to pull the skid steer out. Not a problem for a D5. LoL The ground wasn't frozen enough and the D5N was just digging a hole trying to pull the 931b out though. Moved it back about a foot and half and then broke a 1/2" chain. The tracks on the 931B were frozen so couldn't help at all. Ending up using the hoe to pick the back of the 931B up and drug it backwards on the bucket. Once it was out of the hole it pulled easier. We moved it back about 40 or 50 ft. from the hole. I lifted it up and got a couple small logs under the tracks. Then the engine started acting weird and missing and then quit. Thank god it started and it ran good to get it out. I got the loader raised enough to get the side panel off and inlet strainer cleaned. I don't think it was the whole part of the problem. Fiddled around for awhile and had lots of black smoke but no fire, so used a little starting fluid. Got it running and it died again. I think I must have got some fuel with a little water in it because the water drain appeared frozen. It could have been a blockage in the fuel petcock though because I turned it in and then back out and finally got it to start and run and it cleared itself up. There was a little bit of Seafoam in the tank that may have helped. I let it run for a good 10 minutes and all seemed good with the engine. I tried very briefly to see if the tracks would turn when I lifted it up. Nothing happened so I'm assuming just the torque converter would stall? Didn't hear bad noises or anything. I hope I didn't hurt anything. Now I need to thaw the tracks out. What is the best way short of putting it in a warm shop? I could use a weed burner torch directly on the frozen mud but I think maybe using my generator and 70,000 BTU Reddi-heater inside a tarp might be better but take longer? I don't want to burn any seals or anything. What do you experts think?
I would also check the fluid levels in the transmission, convertor and engine to make sure you do not have any water in them. As for defrosting the patient, I suggest the following options: 1) tarp and redid-heater, 2) wrap the tractor in Visqueen clear plastic, the sun will create a green house effect and heat the are inside the enclosure and a) will not burn and b) requires no baby sitting, used it on a 977L and was able to move the machine in 24 hours. 3) Drag it onto a trailer and get it inside. 4) Wait for spring
It was soft but the back end was higher and not in the water. There was some water at front but it was a downward slope so I don't think there was any way for water to get in anywhere, which is a good thing. I was thinking of getting some cheap plywood to box in the track frames and then blowing heat in from the back with most of the heat going to the track frames.
I like that idea if you have the time. Remember, if it dries out it doesn't matter how cold it is. The drier the mud gets, the weaker it is. This only applies if you can leave it for days, it won't dry out in one day, but you could go out every afternoon and scrape the thawed mud loose.