Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got my dozer this evening!

oldtanker ยท 2015-09-09 21:26

Old Iron Habit delivered just before dark:notworthy! It's a Cat D4 7u serial number is 7U18. Has a Cat blade and #44 hydraulic unit. Will post pictures soon unless Old Iron Habit does it first. Rick

Replies16
  1. #1ben46a2015-09-09 22:00

    Nice! A wide Guage. Is it direct electric start or pony? Angle blade or straight? Sorry! I'll be patient and await the photos. Lol

  2. #2oldtanker2015-09-10 00:52

    Pony start straight blade. When I looked at it we pull started it because the carb needs cleaning. I'll work on it some tomorrow if I get time. Rick

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-09-10 13:58

    Here's a picture or two. It is wide gauge (60") Serial No. 7U18. Makes it a 1947. You can see that proud papa look in his eyes. Rick, you may as well order that 50 by 100 machine shed. It will fill fast as your collection grows.

  4. #4td25c2015-09-10 21:20

    Looks great oldtanker ! That's going to make a nice restoration project .

  5. #5Rajbir Lorriet2015-09-10 21:41

    Don't forget to share few photos of your new one.

  6. #6Rajbir Lorriet2015-09-10 21:43

    Oh, I missed the photos and seen just now. However, how much did you spent for this and from where did you take it?

  7. #7oldtanker2015-09-11 07:33

    Spent less that 2500 and got it near St Cloud Mn. Rick

  8. #8td25c2015-09-11 21:32

    Now you guys know I was talking about restoring & painting the Cat D4 7U dozer ...... oldtanker himself is in his prime . . Keep up the good work Rick :thumbsup

  9. #9old-iron-habit2015-09-11 21:59

    Going to laugh myself to sleep. Good one td25.

  10. #10oldtanker2015-09-12 01:05

    You better get yer eyes checked! Rick

  11. #11Old Junk Man2015-09-13 07:12

    Ive got a 49 D4 7U serial 5382. Mine has seen better days. The one pictured looks to still have a good undercarriage. The only thing I didn't like about mine it was a bit nose heavy. the roller frame and front idler attachment had to be fixed when I first bought it. Try and lift a load with the blade and it put tremendious pressure on the front idlers. A heavy cab and a steel box bolted to the drawbar filled with rocks helped a lot. A big winch on the back or a cable unit back there would be just as good. mine has a solid one piece balderson blade that sticks out a long way in front. the pump and resivor are in front of the radiator. I thought about a smaller pump and a fender mounted resivor and shorten up the blade arms. Ive been on the lookout for a later model 7U that has the two piece trans cover. counter balancer in the engine and seat mount fuel tank.

  12. #12oldtanker2015-09-13 12:15

    I had an IH TD5 that I made a huge mistake in buying. I got it before I knew anything about dozer tracks. I know a lot about tank tracks but that's completely different. Anyway there are only used stuff available for that thing and it was a basket case to begin with. I got out of it OK once I knew what all was involved. Old Iron Habit found this one for me and met me to look it over. The first thing I looked at was the undercarriage. Then we messed around and got the main engine running. The Pony is free so it's a matter of cleaning up the fuel system I think. So all in all I'm pretty happy and for this area the price was right. And Old Iron Habit delivered it for what I considered a very reasonable price. Can't really thank him enough. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy on some if not all of the manuals for it. Rick

  13. #13Rajbir Lorriet2015-09-13 12:22

    Shipment fees is included here?

  14. #14old-iron-habit2015-09-13 14:56

    Almost free delivery by an old iron addict helping a friend get a fix.

  15. #15oldtanker2015-09-13 15:41

    Yes, it was 2380 with delivery included. Roger, I owe you one big favor in my book! Rick

  16. #16fixou8122015-09-13 15:56

    Rodger That! Very handsome Fun Size Dozer Looking good on the trailer too!