Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got the 215 home, need thumb, will travel

curtkeiser ยท 2010-11-21 19:56

My son and grandson made a trip across Iowa and into Illinois to pick up a 215 excavator we got. The Freightliner is an 82 and the "kitty" is an 88 with Cat 3304 4 cylinder. 1100 mile round trip went good, with a lot of fog/drizzle this morning by Des Moines. Need to find a hydraulic thumb. Been watching eBay and Craigslist. Anyone have an idea where to find a used one? I see there is a lot of after market new manufacturers. Are any of those OK?

Replies13
  1. #1jimson2010-11-21 20:51

    Nice looking 215. Dont rule out a stiff thumb if you are on a budget. Here are some pics of my 215 and thumb. I have had it on the machine for about 1500 hours and its holding up great. I got it new from usa attachments at the time it was about $1300 and shipping but i think they have gone up. You get good at folding it in and out and its not that bad.

  2. #2curtkeiser2010-11-21 21:05

    It is plumbed for for a hydraulic thumb so I suppose it makes more sense to get a hydraulic thumb. Have you used both and is hydraulic with it? Thanks

  3. #3Greg2010-11-21 22:07

    look on machinerytrader.com. Lots of good stuff there.

  4. #4Auctioneerhere2010-11-21 23:44

    I saw a 215 sell the other day for $20K...Decent machine few dents, average paint...

  5. #5pinesd34002010-11-22 06:11

    215 Cat Yea I know I have mine up for $15,000 nothing wrong with it I cant give it away absolutly no work around here all year. 215 D LC one of the last ones.

  6. #6jimson2010-11-22 07:57

    I have little experience with hydraulic thumb. It would defiantly be more convenient.

  7. #7masterwelder2010-11-22 10:40

    If cost is not a concern- I would put a hydraulic thumb on with out a doubt. We have one machine with a hydraulic and one without. The one with the hydraulic is preferred for thumb work. I know if you search the forum you will find some more info on the manual vs hydraulic thumb debate, along with discussion about attachment points on the machine. Wish I could remember the thread- good discussion. If you do find a used one, keep in mind there will be a little time in cutting the thumb off the old machine (probably without destroying the stick) and prepping to go on the 215. Something to think about when considering the price of a used one vs new.

  8. #8Big Iron2010-11-22 12:23

    this is one of the best thumbs i have had its mounted on my 320B. its a WBM progressive link 3 tine. i really like the big curve on the tines, really makes it nice when pileing brush, logs, stumping ect. they also designed it to fit the teeth on 36" through 54" WBM buckets, since my machine has the WBM coupler, being able to fit different sizes of buckets is nice. that being said whatever you decide to go with the progressive link is a must

  9. #9hcinc2010-11-22 13:49

    I am selling a machanical thumb if you are interented it is the right size for that machine never used or installed $1500.00 canadian. I can send pics if you are interested.

  10. #10dayexco2010-11-22 19:08

    the two piece boom, that a grey market?

  11. #11Willis Bushogin2010-11-22 20:45

    thumb I agree, if you have the $$$$ get a hydraulic thumb installed, seems like years ago I checked on this and the hydraulics was going to cost about $5000, plus the thumb. I could be wrong about this, but I went with a manual thumb and never was sorry. I have owned 2 machines with factory hydraulic thumbs and they worked great. I had a friend that had a new system installed on a older machine and he always had problem with it, mostly the relief valves could never be adjusted correctly. He ended up with alot of money in it. If I was looking for a used thumb, I would call all the dealers (Cat, Deere, Komostu, etc) and see if they have a used thumb. My local Cat dealer has a salvage yard and you can get good deals sometimes and you might find a hydraulic system just for a 215, but beware, buying old hydraulic units is not always a good idea. I have bought thumbs from dealers, that were removed from new or used machines, the buyer didnt want them. I got get deals on them. Before you buy anything, make sure it will fit your bucket. If you buy like from USA attachments, they will match your bucket and you will have customer support. There is a little trick to installing it correctly search eBay, there was some on there for sale Good Luck

  12. #12RealGraveRobber2024-01-11 05:13

    Great information here, thank you all for lending your expertise. Will be hunting for a hydraulic thumb!

  13. #13FWD2024-01-11 18:41

    Thread is 13 years old. Only thing changed is the prices. FWD