Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got to demo an 85D the other day.

B.U.S.I. ยท 2009-11-25 01:45

Here's a pic of a new Deere 85D that I got to run the other day. It was the perfect size for digging a 12' deep receiving pit right next to a concrete column under an overpass.

Replies11
  1. #1bluntman410g2009-11-25 11:48

    i want to demo that same machine. how did you like it?

  2. #2B.U.S.I.2009-11-25 14:23

    I liked it a lot. Smooth and stable. I was digging in soft clay with a 46" wide clean up bucket. The 85D is basically the same as the 75D but it has a swing boom. This allowed me to dig about 10' wide, nice and square to the machine without repositioning. The cab is a bit smaller than the 75D because of the clearance required when the boom is swung fully to the left. If I were to get one I would opt for the road-liner style pads as 90% of my work is on asphalt.

  3. #3thebig450es2009-11-25 20:01

    i was thinking of getting a machine it that size

  4. #4nedly052009-11-26 05:14

    I Ran a 75ZTS last fall a little bit, it was super comfortable and super smooth, but it just didnt seem to have the power I thought it should. It felt like a mini compared to the Kobelco. Maybe the D series is better? What did you think of it power wise?

  5. #5B.U.S.I.2009-11-26 10:19

    I don't really have anything else the same size to compare it too. Everything I operate is either much smaller (17D) or way bigger (Cat 330L). For its size it did well. It maybe could use a bit more stick crowd power, but bucket curl and boom power were really good. Personally, I really like the D-series machines compared to earlier series.

  6. #6hvy 1ton2009-11-26 19:49

    Nedly and B.U.S.I, do you know if the machines you ran had the short or long stick?

  7. #7B.U.S.I.2009-11-26 21:04

    The one I demo'd had the optional 6'11" stick. Standard stick is a 5'4".

  8. #8Digger Dan2009-11-26 22:58

    That is a nice looking machine

  9. #9nedly052009-11-27 05:09

    Cant be sure but from looking at the pics I would say the one I ran had the longer stick. It had a hydraulic thumb, so that always makes it look shorter to me, but I would say the long one.

  10. #10Anto Modded2009-11-28 13:01

    Thats a lovely loking maching for its size

  11. #11strott2009-11-28 14:16

    Until it gets dirty that is!!