Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gradall 524 – boom cable

lminter240 ยท 2014-12-06 12:06

I HAVE GRADALL 524 TELEHANDLER, Boom cable snap (2) but dealer say machine used 3 cable I want change all cable and hydraulic hoses, some have idea to replace this part, or need disassemble all boom or just is a regular instalation.- thank you all:Banghead

Replies5
  1. #1brianbulldozer2014-12-06 17:25

    I purchased a fixer 524D three stage last year. The retract cable had come loose, hoses then became the retract cable and were torn apart, extend cables came off sheaves and were kinked where they must have been pinched between the stages - in other words a mess. A bit of a challenge reaching in there but was able to replace all without dismantling or removing the boom. Bought 3 cables and 4 hoses from dealer (did not know correct length of hoses and since their price was about the same as from my local hose supplier thought this was way to go). Turns out the dealer did not have correct length specifications for the hoses, they were about a foot short and I had to make up four short hoses and couple them to the dealer supplied ones to make it work, so beware of that. Service and parts manual is available free online from the manufacturer at JLG.com, but service manual is more oriented towards the 534 model and is a little short on info for the 524.

  2. #2Knepptune2014-12-06 22:10

    Retract cable and the hoses can be changed without taking the boom apart. We always have a crane or two at the shop so it's easier and quicker for me to just pull the boom apart. I dk if the 524 is slightly different the 534 but the extend cables are a bloody nightmare. I can have that boom taken apart in less then 2 hrs so I wouldn't even try to mess with trying to fix it on the machine. It must be possible to do it without taking it apart but I'm sure not gonna do it the hard way.

  3. #3lminter2402014-12-08 07:42

    Thanks Guy's very much, I try on this week thanks again

  4. #4tool_king2014-12-09 23:53

    Iminter 240 who was the dealer you asking ? Do you need manuals ? I can email them to you or copy to thumb drive and meet some where to load to you laptop.I drive all over bergen county and north jersey matter a fact.

  5. #5lminter2402015-01-07 09:59

    Job is ready done, thank you very much