Hello everyone, New to the forums here, but I have been a "lurker" for a few years and I have learned an awful lot from you all. I'm interested in buying my first machine and was hoping to get some advice. I want to purchase a Gradall G3WD to help with some personal projects and hire out as a weekend/evenings side business doing odd jobs. My rationale is that G3WD is a nice compromise between portability and capability for someone who isn't looking start a full fledged landscaping company with a bunch of money. It looks like these machines are almost a dime a dozen and seem to be available for short money in good condition. For reference, my background is heavy construction engineering with extensive experience operating mini excavators and more limited experience with loaders, skid-steers, cranes, and a few other things. I held a license in MA in most categories until I let it lapse :Banghead. Anyways, a few questions: Do G3WD's generally come equipped with auxillary hydraulics, or is that a feature one has to specifically locate? I haven't seen it mentioned in listings leading me to believe it is either standard or rarely found. Suppose a machine is in good cosmetic condition and appears to function properly. What are the primary "hidden" issues I should look out for or ask about? I've considered getting a machine from the midwest/south due to substantially less salt exposure (up here in New England, used equipment are rust buckets). Is it reasonable to think about driving the machine a few hundred miles or should it be put on a low-boy? Any other advice or thoughts about these machines? Thanks!
Very few of them had auxillary hydraulics. They were not a bad machine when used as they were intented but a lot of companys bought them because they were a lot cheaper than the larger ones and expected them to do the same work and you know what happens then. There other thing is they can and are a bear for electrics more so the older ones the wireing when they first came out used plastic AMP connectors and the lock rings would break all the time and let the connector come apart. The newer ones were a lot better they used a metal connector and it worked much better.
I have one that I bought @ auction around $4,500 couple years ago I have used a little maybe 50 hrs .they are great for road work ,side walk & curb removal and fine grading. They are hard to see out of from operators cab a lot of blind spots.as for roading have driven mine only a couple blocks is not pleasant to drive no rear springs no ventilation in cab and very low road speed and power.(lowboy).even with 360 rotation you can only work at ground level a little more than 180 degress I would suggest a mini excavator for a 1st machine with hyd thumb it would be a whole lot more versatile and lot cheaper to operate
Thanks for the replies. The G3WD is definitely limited compared to a tracked machine. I would love to have a nice mini excavator, dump truck, and trailer, but that's a bit further down the road. For now, I think the Gradall will do what we need to get done. I picked one up in the next state over for 5800 in decent shape. Biggest issue is the PTO was engaged while the engine was running and needs a shift adapter replacement. Not too bad. Other than that, it needs tires, glass, and some cosmetics. Overall, the machine was in good shape with minimal rust. It looks like adding a aux circuit is fairly straighforward. The remote travel valve has a power-through fitting. After reading the service manual, I'm impressed with how well thought out the G3WD is. I'm looking forward to spending the fall working on it.
I would not think about driving the beast 200 or more miles, if the law enforcement will even allow.
No worries, dozer 12216, we're trucking it! She needs some work... However, assuming a machine is in good condition, what is considered "too far" for a Gradall or other heavy, but road legal, machine? You can burn a bunch of diesel before you approach the cost of lowboy service.