I have a 1960 Adams blade, has power assist steering, it quit working so took the hydraulics off the front and replaced all seals, etc, the regulator did need some repair and so thought i had caught up with the issue The same issues remain, when you are in reverse, the steering works, go forward and it is rock hard. Anyone have an idea why and also what do I try next? There is a regulator unit that is fed by two larger hoses from the oil tank, then oil is pumped down to the steering. Should I take that off, clean and determine if any issues with clogging ? jd
What is power assist steering? Is it not an orbitrol type steering valve that operates a hydraulic cylinder or cylinders to move the tie rod? Can you post a picture of the steering mechanics?
I will get a picture to share. The oil is forced into the value, when you turn the steering wheel, that moves the value either way and then oil is forced into the drum, which than pushes steering control back and forth, right or left is end result. RIght now i am only getting any control movement when i go into reverse