Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grader operator shot at

20/80 · 2018-02-03 20:46

A buddy of mine told me about a grader operator doing snow removal in a John Deere grader was shot at by some guy with road rage in Grand Prairie Alberta, there's pictures of the grader on face book, I hope the operator is ok, what is this world coming to.

Replies33
  1. #1stars&bars442018-02-03 21:09

    That's pretty bad.

  2. #2alco2018-02-04 14:04

    There’s a little more to the story than that. The grader and the shooting suspect’s vehicle collided, upon which the driver of the vehicle hit by the grader exited the vehicle and shot at the grader. The driver of the vehicle has since been found and arrested.

  3. #320/802018-02-04 15:21

    Apparently the operator is all right, was taken to the hospital to be checked out, glad they found the shooter.

  4. #4cuttin edge2018-02-05 08:17

    I have had shovels, brooms, ice scrapers, middle fingers, and many choice words thrown at me, but never bullets. And not to upset the late Mr Heston, but......... Assuming the driver had no mental issues, he was pissed, and fired a weapon in a moment of rage. Perhaps he regrets what happens but perhaps not. It could have been worse, and someone would be dead. There are those who would argue that if the grader man had a gun to he could defend himself, or maybe it would be worse, and one shot fired becomes 10. If there was no gun in the first place, and I am unaware of any instance in Canada where we can carry a weapon that is not under lock and key, there would be no fired in the first place. Not trying to start a gun debate

  5. #520/802018-02-05 09:48

    Well what ever happened never should there be shots fired in rage, as a operator working for the government out in the public you just don't know that somebody is at there breaking point for what ever reason and may have nothing to do with you what's so ever, also I find that tax payers think for some reason that they are your boss when you operate a government piece of equipment and are allowed to vent at you even if you have no control in decision your supervisor made, this happens a lot more then you think and puts operators at risk.

  6. #6cuttin edge2018-02-05 10:50

    I think that movie with the kids and the snow plow operator ruined it for a lot of us.

  7. #720/802018-02-05 11:15

    Yeah.. maybe lol

  8. #8ovrszd2018-02-05 12:27

    Maybe he needs this grader. Camp Speicher Iraq.

  9. #9Queenslander2018-02-06 06:05

    Looks like a G series, no need for armour, they were bullet proof right from the start.

  10. #10ovrszd2018-02-06 18:17

    That's an excellent reply!!!!! And I agree!!!!!

  11. #11alco2018-02-06 23:02

    I believe there were 5 bullet holes in the cab when all was said and done. It's another case of a nut job on the loose if you ask me.

  12. #12ovrszd2018-02-07 09:53

    I agree. Would certainly make an operator's emotions run the full range wouldn't it.....

  13. #13Willie B2018-02-07 11:37

    A person who shoots at a grader operator while doing his job is crazy. I'd expect this person to have done crazy things before. Is there not law prohibiting violent criminals from owning guns? I'd bet somebody dropped the ball before if this nut has guns. My record is clean, and in VT that's all you need. I still had to get a photo driver's license before I could buy one.

  14. #14cuttin edge2018-02-07 11:48

    We are not allowed to carry guns in Canada

  15. #15Welder Dave2018-02-07 14:09

    This guy should be charged with attempted murder if there's 5 holes in the cab! A few years ago a guy, I think in the Grand prairie region, was in trouble for chasing after guys that stole his quad. I think he fired a warning shot but if you're trying to steal someone's property is different than shooting at someone doing their job.

  16. #16ovrszd2018-02-07 18:20

    The more laws we enact to restrict guns the more nut cases will have guns. Not picking on cutting edge at all. So in Canada a person that's carrying a gun is a criminal and possibly the craziest nut case ever. Who's going to control him since he knows no one else is carrying? Again, not trying to start an argument. Just trying to get a grip on this. Sometimes you gotta be the craziest one in the Bar fight.

  17. #17cuttin edge2018-02-07 19:02

    If he had a weapon, he was out for trouble for sure, and I would never diss an American's rite to carry, but we can't, and there were more gun deaths in Chicago than in all of Canada. I understand the gun issue can be very personal for some so I'm not gonna open that can of worms. If it was me I probably would have tried to run him over, so I guess killed by gun or grader same difference

  18. #18Willie B2018-02-07 20:09

    My argument is that the laws are in place now. In USA we have at least restrictions on people who have displayed violent behavior. Other states are far more restrictive. Enforcing the existing laws in any of 50 states, odds are this psycho would not possess a gun. I strongly believe those of us able to control our actions should carry guns as a deterrent to crime. I'm a big advocate of laser sights. They make most of us more accurate, enable us to defend ourselves at night, and are a Hell of a deterrent to crime. Were I engaging in criminal activity, and see that red dot, I would leave in a hurry. Crisis averted!

  19. #19Queenslander2018-02-07 21:00

    We've had some of the toughest gun laws in the world for twenty years now. They have effectively put a stop to the nutcases who carry out senseless mass shootings. Hardened crims can still get whatever they want but they mostly shoot one another so no great loss. It is pretty rare to see a store robbed at gunpoint these days, they have been largely reduced to using a machete or lump of pipe.

  20. #20DIYDAVE2018-02-07 21:14

    Problem with gun laws is they disarm those who would only use them for good purposes. Most CC permit holders realize the basic rules of good shooting, like having a clean shot, with a back stop, that keep the bullet from ricocheting, or not firing toward a bad guy in a crowd of innocents. Lets not forget that sometimes a gun is pulled by a good guy, and this causes a perp to reconsider using his. Perps have no such compunctions, nor training. I won't call US law perfect, but I will not be threatened with physical harm, without considering my options. Here in the peoples republic of MD, I have pulled a gun 2x, and am still alive. No shootings, just the display. Both were on my own property. Now I have somewhat of a rep as a mean b*****d, among certain elements of this community. The bad reputation works great at deterrence, too...

  21. #2163 caveman2018-02-08 06:27

    "If he had a weapon, he was out for trouble for sure, and I would never diss an American's rite to carry, but we can't, and there were more gun deaths in Chicago than in all of Canada" What is odd is Chicago has the most strictest gun laws in the US; So what is up with that?

  22. #22ovrszd2018-02-08 09:44

    Yep. What we need are more "people" laws and less "gun" laws. I agree with running him over!!!!

  23. #23ovrszd2018-02-08 09:49

    I've read discussions about Australia's gun laws before. They appear to be working. Is it because the penalties are more severe? Hard to have a broad stroke discussion about penalties. Just wondering if the potential penalty is more of a deterent than the gun law??

  24. #24Queenslander2018-02-08 16:01

    Well, I don’t claim to be an expert on the subject, but I believe the biggest single reason is the dramatic reduction in the number of guns in the community. The gov. banned all semi autos twenty years ago and bought back all illegal guns at market value. They greatly tightened licencing requirements,it now takes about a month to go through the process. You have to be a “fit and proper person”, no drugs or violence convictions in the past five years, no domestic violence orders etc. etc. You have to have a reason to licence a firearm... own a rural property greater than about twenty acres, be a recreational shooter with either permission to shoot on a nominated property of the same size or a member of a recognised club, be a collector or in certain security occupations. I own a rural property and have two rifles and a shotgun which have to be store in a dedicated gun safe, a solid steel cabinet securely bolted, from within, to the floor and wall. Iam subject to an audit at any time, the cops can arrive unannounced and demand to see my guns and check that they are adequately stored. As you would expect, all this was hugely unpopular at the time,mainly in regional areas. I honestly can’t tell you what the penalties are other than losing the right to own a gun.

  25. #25ovrszd2018-02-08 18:10

    Thank you for the very humble and honest reply. I would think there needs to be very, very serious penalties for being out of compliance. In this country it would have to be mandatory jail time. And I'm not talking about 30 days, I'm talking about years. I'm not a statistician but I'm guessing we are in the top five countries of most heavily armed citizenry. We ain't givin that up easily.

  26. #26Willie B2018-02-08 18:14

    Show statistics for Texas, or another big, sparsely populated state in the USA. In these places ordinary people carry guns. Nuts face opposition. I feel it is beneficial for every rational, skilled person to have a gun close. There are very few mass shootings in Texas. It isn't necessary to shoot anyone to use a gun to deter crime.

  27. #27Willie B2018-02-08 20:19

    Vermont, a state in the USA is in the throes of transition. Once we might have been considered the most conservative state of 50. Now, the people cave changed only a small bit, but politically we are now the most liberal state. Change comes fast! A few populous communities have become almost totally peopled by ultra liberal activists. We were the first to allow something interchangeable with marriage to homosexuals, we circumvented other states legalizing marijuana, we gave it out to anyone who ever had anything worse than a cold. Our Lieutenant Governor is a marijuana farmer selling his crop to the state! VT laws will change soon. Meanwhile plenty of people carry a firearm. Others conceal carry. Some, like me, are never far from a gun. Thus far we haven't had a mass shooting. Friends from Massachusetts have a vacation home here. They worry about violence from strangers. I explain that few Vermonters have ever been shot by strangers. VT has murders, almost always by a spouse, occasionally a drug deal gone bad. In VT strangers don't kill strangers. I believe guns serve as a deterrent. If Bob shoots Jim, Bill might shoot Bob, or Jim might be armed, and shoot back. The uncertainty of who is armed suppresses the urge to shoot. Those prone to climbing a clock tower to kill might become targets themselves before they are prepared. Willie

  28. #28old-iron-habit2018-02-12 22:13

    If our court system locked up criminals and made them serve a real penalty instead of coddling the b*stards we most likely wouldn't have to carry. Our low populated pristine area with no meaningful voting population was rewarded with both a maximum security sex offender facility and a medium security prison located only two miles from me and a mile from down town. Scum, both lawyers and crooks, are in town all the time visiting their cohorts in prison. Practicing self defense is only a pocket away for a lot of folks here.

  29. #29Willie B2018-02-13 17:54

    Sadly, our prisons aren't really a deterrent to the people we send there. It's pretty rare for anyone to go to prison anyway. Shooting perpetrators of severe crimes, and leaving the body there, or shoving it to where it won't be in the way, and leaving it would be a deterrent. We have sent the message to criminals that we will be very lenient if, in the unlikely case that you are convicted, oh, you will be given the best defence attorney possible, and the judge will be ultra liberal.

  30. #30Fatgraderman2018-03-28 11:52

    He was trying to pass the grader. It was roughly midnight and the guy in the SUV didn’t think he was getting out of the way fast enough. Like was mentioned before, there were 5 bulletholes in the glass. And the guy was arrested shortly after.

  31. #3120/802018-03-28 12:38

    Just glad the grader operator is all right and the shooter was caught, gun control... going to be a hard to come up with a solution that everybody is happy with, I personally think you should have the right to protect your family and property from intruders with the intent to rob you and cause you and your family harm, just calling 911 and answering a check list of questions then waiting a hour for the police to show up only to find you and your family robbed, stab and beaten half to death or worst dead, in this country now if I pushed back and defended my family with a gun I would be arrested, how do you fix that, I think if some intruder new that they could be shot back at may make them think twice about robbing you, most robbers case a place out first to see what they are up against, that guy that shot at that operator new it was illegal for that operator to carry a weapon for protection.

  32. #32Fatgraderman2018-03-28 13:28

    The first thing I was thinking, but forgot to post was “you even look at the windows of those things wrong, they shatter to bits, but they were able to count the bullet holes after that?”. As far a packing guns, even the municipal officers here don’t pack anything. I don’t know if the “Sherriff’s” do either. I think it’s just the RCMP’s and SWAT’s. When I seen a picture of the shooter, I thought he looked drugged, but I don’t remember if drug possession was a charge or not. On gun control, round 2 of our long gun registry just started. And I couldn’t care either way (just so long as they remember to exclude it from the freedom of information, unlike last time when a shopping list was put up on the website). If it’s premeditated, weapons far more dangerous can be easily fabricated from how-to videos on YouTube. I grew up rural, and you just expected every landowner could get his hands on something in a hurry if you were up to shinanigans. Now with all the drug issues and stuff, somewhere’s they Think there could be a firearm stash is probably more attractive. It’s ran rampant here lately, and I’m not sure what the solution might be. Donkeys or mules maybe? A guy with a grow op used them for guard, maybe they worked?

  33. #3320/802018-03-28 15:33

    Yeah.. hard to come up with a solution, gun registry is just a big waste of tax payers money that could be well needed some where else, we have been down this road before, Grader operators get all kinds backlash out in the public, some we here of some we don't, there is a lot of couch managers out there, maybe its a good thing grader operators are not armed, not sure how things here in Canada are going to work out when they legalize weed, maybe the weed will calm down the chronic complainers.