Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grader Steering

Tejasp56 ยท 2014-12-12 04:03

I have some doubt regarding grader front axle steering. When Grader is take turn on max. angel by front axle steering that time grader both front tires are in parallel position or on some angle?

Replies8
  1. #1Fatgraderman2014-12-12 23:01

    I'm not sure the question. They turn the sharpest with the front wheels leaned into the turn. There is a certain amount of "ackerman" built into them (the inside tire turns tighter then the outside).

  2. #2Graderfan19812014-12-17 04:47

    I have found a site, where the system is described, I hope this helps, it is for a chinese grader, but it descripes the function: http://www.jcdriveaxle.com/product-1-3-steering-front-rear-axle-en/153035

  3. #3cuttin edge2015-01-02 21:38

    Depends on the design. Abernathy's Champion 110 actually turns tighter with the wheels upright.

  4. #4Fatgraderman2015-01-12 23:53

    I'll have to take your word on that. Until I googled it, I didn't know that the Champion name was still around. I seen a few 80/86's around from before Volvo, didn't know the original builder ressurected the company. Now if he could put that 110 on steroids, something comparable to a 740!

  5. #5cuttin edge2015-01-13 12:21

    The 110, and the 116 are kind of like a D7. Too big for compact grader work, and too small for heavy grader work. It is a nice machine, but we had the prototype, and didn't have a lot of luck with it. I hear good stuff about the compact models though.

  6. #6rsherril2015-01-14 07:33

    Mr. Abernathy describes the 110 as fulfilling the role of the JD570 after they were discontinued in the mid 1990's. I'm partial to that machine because of their cost to operate and full sized grader features. I believe that small municipalities preferred them for those reasons too. I would like to see a graph of the cost per pound for a grader over the last 25 years.

  7. #7Fatgraderman2015-01-14 10:23

    I know towns liked the 570's for back alleys.

  8. #8cuttin edge2015-01-14 10:41

    I have always liked Champion, and even though Volvo shut down operations in Canada, there is still enough Champion in their graders for me to like the product. When my boss was in the market for a new compact grader. I contacted Volvo to get info about their compact line. They refered me to Abernathy as he had taken over that line, and brought back the Champion name. I did the research on the 80, talked to owners, and got positive feedback. Presented the info to the boss, and thought it was all a go. He ends up being the first company in Canada to purchase a 110. The machine was, and I don't mean to bash a mans product, but the first day the rear grill fell off going down the road. Then the engine compartment doors kept popping open if you twisted the machine at all. It was almost impossible to fuel up because of the fill pipe design. Then the electrical problems started. It would go into neutral all the time. I once had to be towed back to the shop by a pickup truck because of this. The really sad part, was that the main pins for the blade lift and saddle has about a half an inch play. The machine went back, to strongo, and they redid the pins, and traced the electrical problems to the wires being pulled tight when she articulated. Unfortunately Strongo broke the massive expensive one piece windshield trying to remove the pins. They redesigned the rear grill to include a latch, moved the fill pipe, and fixed the engine compartment doors, and fixed the tight cable. Lastly, they no longer use the piston gear circle rotation. Other graders use the gearbox type, bu this one seemed too light, as it broke 3 times. The last time, our own mechanic built a new part, and when the guy from strongo came with the new part, he looked at what Norman had built, and put the piece he had brought back in his van. In the end Strongo took the 110 back, and gave us a good deal on a new 940 Volvo. Not sure what happened to the 110. We ended up with a new Mauldin maintainer. I am hoping that the bugs were worked out of the 110 line, but the one we had was a lemon for sure, and if you figure that the 110 was used too hard, I do the same work with the Mauldin, and it holds up fine.