I am starting a hauling projoct for a hydro-power project which will need constant road maintance to keep the ADT's flowing and to keep the tires in good condition. So, i am searching to buy some graders to do the 10KM road maintance. I myself don't have much experiance working with graders before, i'm clueless. So would like some ideas to what size, brand and amount would fit this task.?? I am open to all suggestions, thanks
14-16 ft mould boards, one grader per 2km if conditions are good, one grader per 1km if you have bad rutting. If there is a lot of wet material AWD graders work awesome.
I would ask what the ground conditions are? If the ground is hard and packs well, 2 graders of the Cat 14 to 16 size will do. If the ground is wet, ruts easily, or has other poor qualities, you may need as many as Vantage_Tes says. Keep in mind, conditions are relative to a persons experience. I work in what some call bad conditions and I call good because I am used to it, while someone else's "good" conditions may be bad for me, as I am not accustomed to them. For this reason, it is better to spell out the conditions, instead of just calling it "good", or "bad". And yes, I am telling myself that as well, as I am guilty as charged.
This thread is on the back of this one................
I would say like others; size is dependent on conditions. Caterpillar would be my first choice an John Deere second, The John Deere's I have run are not as fuel efficient as the Caterpillar. A good all purpose size is the Cat 140 model or a John Deere 770. I would stay away from the larger Caterpillars unless you are really mucking a lot of material. The purchase and operating costs are just not justified. Caterpillar makes a PERFOMANCE HANDBOOK that give a good breakdown on all their equipment... you can get one from the dealer or salesman, if you can' find one used somewhere. They generally give out a new one every year to their customers.
I grade around 5 miles a day on rutted heavily used roads and operate a 12H Cat w/ a 14' mold board
What about the monsoon season and average yearly rain fall? Is the material Laterite(Decomposed Iron Ore)? Can you use a soil staberlizer? STUMP KNOCKER
I'm looking at the volvo 970, any ideas Thanks
I agree Evan, if the road is not too wide or does not fall apart quickly and neeed regrading with heavy traffic. The 12H is my favorite blade for finish work and anything but real heavy work... very quick hydraulic response.
Laterite is red and will compact during the dry season and turn to mud during the monsoon season. STUMP KNOCKER
For the portion of the road that will stay consistent throughout the job, it may make sense to cement treat of lime treat it to get a good all weather stabilized road.
In the bad spots we usually use a john deere 9520 pulling a box blade, it works very well and can cover alot of ground, and any idiot can run it, a blade you need a good hand that knows how to run a haul road. We will usualy use put the blade on the harder part of the haul road and put the box blade in the softer spots.
if one cat 140 cant keep 10km of road in good nick, sack the driver and look for someone good. 10km is like 5 days work if you put alot of effort into drainage and grass cleaning and crown. . a grade everyweek is heaps, , run out of stuff to grade will be your trouble. make sure you get a good operator who wont just cut a massive rill everytime other wise your going to turn the road into a creek.keeping the road watered will be your main problem, if you can keep the road watered it may only need a grade once a fortnight.