Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grading with (2) LR50 and RD20 at the same time

DGODGR ยท 2024-11-06 21:13

I just bought an LR50 and Rd20 for use on my D5K. I'm wondering if I can use one at each end of the blade instead of just one in the middle. I'm thinking that I can grade sloped pads more accurately and faster than if only using one of them in the center of the blade. I wonder if I will be able to pair the (2) separate RD20s to the (2) separate LR50s (I'm told that they work via Bluetooth), when all are on at the same time, and on the same machine.

Replies4
  1. #1bam19682024-11-07 22:06

    I can't answer your question about them being paired. So I am trying to wrap my head around this..... Are you planning on setting up your laser to the desired slope and then basically angle your blade so the receivers on each side of the blade are catching the beam at the same time? If so, I would like to hear how it all works out. I have a hard enough time grading with one receiver. LOL

  2. #2Shimmy12024-11-08 00:08

    I can't see any reason why not. Each RD20 should be paired with its respective receiver. I am wondering why you need the RD20 unless you have really short masts?

  3. #3DGODGR2024-11-23 01:02

    Yes, that's the plan. We'll see how it goes. I don't believe that the RD20 and the LR50W come pre-paired, or that they would only be able to pair with the one that they came in the package with. I'm hoping that once one LR50W/RD20 combo has paired, that either of the components of other combo would try to pair with a component of the first combo. I'm not sure why a short mast would require the RD20 more than a tall one. Seems to me that the opposite would apply. Regardless, the RD20 will transmit the same info as the receiver, but into the cab. I'm thinking that it will allow me to keep my eyes on the blade corners by offering me another visual source that will be closer to my line of site, if looking toward the bottom/corners of the blade. even if they are no help visually, they also emit audible information, regardless of where I'm looking. Since I have no experience with the LR50W/RD20 combo, I was hoping to hear from those who do. My inquiry was posted prior to the purchase of the second unit. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the second one. I'll be rouging in a road fill soon, and it will be my maiden voyage attempt of this set up. Thanks for the replies Gentlemen. I look forward to any other input.

  4. #4DoyleX2024-12-22 13:25

    Your LR50 has a plumb indicator. You need to be smarter than the laser to be productive. Run with your slope instead of across it. That way you keep your blade plumb and the blade is riding the beam the entire way. I have a grader set up with a LR50W and LR30W. You are really busy keeping things "tight" and going at a crawl.