i grew up around equipment, and have driven everything under the sun, but my grandfathers 580 Super E holds a special place in my heart. After he stopped running it in ‘99 or so, it was parked. I’ve recently begun resurrecting it (along with the Mack he towed it with) and am loving it. Even put her to work this week! Needs every fluid changed, the brakes barely function, return to dig doesn’t work, left rear tire leaks, the bucket controls stick, cluster is mostly non-functional, tree fell and knocked a few windows out, busted lights, half the zerk fittings are too rusty to take grease, and don’t even get me started on the HVAC system.. But we’ll get there. I’m a ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician. I’ve got a lot to learn from you guys about hydraulics and equipment, but I’ll to bring this back to perfect. Ill teach a new generation to drive on it, just like grandpa and dad taught me.
Good luck, you're going to need it. Your story has a parallel, I have a young friend who bought from his uncle his grandfather's Ford 4500 backhoe without inspecting it first. It has been a real learning experience. The grandfather, well known for his taking good care of heavy equipment seemed to have dropped the ball on this one. Anything not leaking was only because it was dry. The swing tower was worn out, bent, and cracked. Andy studied line boring on the internet, and rebuilt the swing tower. At present the tractor is in 1000 separate pieces as he reseals all the leaks from the underbelly. Willie
Thankfully, my grandfather isn’t known for taking good care of his vehicles, but his moneymaker (the 580) while abused and beaten, was never neglected. He knows everything that’s wrong with it. When I first started working on it he tells me “oh, there’s a leak here, one of the pads is missing a snap ring, don’t put more than half a tank of fuel in it because it leaks, etc... After 19 years, he still has his to do list in his head.and he enjoys this stuff, it’ll be fun to work on with him.
It'll be a great project!!!! Just takes time and money. Post some pictures, we love pictures.
I’ll be getting pictures tomorow. Just picked up a 275 gallon water tank to bring some water with me in the hopes that I can run the pressure washer this weekend. Backhoe could sure use it after 18 years in storage
At the start of this week. A tree fell on it a year or so ago and busted a window and some lights. I got it running, but only ever enough to move, not to work with.
As of today- Filthy Engine Bay I know the tires are on backwards. New seat is needed. Pressure washing inside the cab was.... “fun” Ta-DAA! Still much to do, but when grandpa showed up I was moving dirt for the neighbor, and he thought it was another machine.
I would have never guessed the motor was yellow. First of many “something should go there” moments Looks like some repair work is needed... I don’t know enough about this stuff... #1 priority after tomorrow’s oil change and fuel filter swap. Find out where this comes from!
Keep up the good work.. It looks like you have a lot of room in the engine bay,should something need fixin;.. The weak points on the engine is> a leaking injection pump & a bad lift pump.. That Case/Cummins engine is GOOD.. Both are easy fixes w/ alittle guidance.. You might wanna take a look inside the fuel tank.. when it gets low, look for gunk at the bottom & rust.. Have fun..
Did Gramps have a reason for putting the rear tires on backwards ?? That cripples the pushing capability of the tractor.
I've considered it. Once you put a load in the bucket going backwards is difficult, especially if the front wheels are in a hole. But I agree it's a trade-off.
Exactly! Sometimes loading out of a pile w/ 2wd, the hardest thing is to back out.
The tires are not on backwards,they are on the wrong side! Bob
Do you already have all the manuals for the machine? You can download them here if you don't: http://www.minnpar.com/manuals5.asp...S PARTS MANUALS&SSSFName=CASE 580E SE SUPER E
It had a flat, so I just put on the only spare I could find. Shortly later, grandpa bought another tire, and I got a flat and I put that tire on the other side. I’ve been meaning to swap them, but it’s just been one of those things where it wasn’t worth the effort... lol
nice project I restored a 580 se for a member on here . Yeah I know he wanted super K decals put on it... IT killed me when I put them on lol my 580c on the back side both had quick couplers 4 in 1 and extendahoes
Sneaky Bob, very sneaky!!!!
Never admit things like that. Always make up some great theory about why the tires are like that as if it was intentional. Never weaken. The Internet bullies will dog pile.
Like putting Chevy decals on a Ford. They are utterly different machines. Even the engines being identical, Case states they came from different manufacturers. The K series had a Case built by Case in Iowa 3900 CC engine, The E had an identical Cummins 3900 CC engine. Aside from the engine they are different, built on two different continents. We might argue which is better, but they served the same purpose, had $15000. difference in price, and had similar dependability.