Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Granite rock in cement mixers

kevink ยท 2013-06-06 21:41

Just trying to find out if granite rock is more abrasive to concrete mixer trucks versus limestone. I hear that some companies wont use it because of wear and that it dings up the mixers. Is there really a difference or not????????? Thanks in Advance

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042013-06-06 22:37

    It is definitely harder and usually has sharper edges

  2. #2caterpillarmech2013-06-07 05:36

    Oh yeah it is way more abrasive. I had a trencher and several excavators on a golf course that was going in. Every week I had to change out the nubs left on the trencher chain. The buckets would just fall apart. Nothing left to weld together.

  3. #3ben46a2013-06-08 06:07

    Yes it is more abrasive, but shouldn't hurt it. Up here all we have for rock is quartzite and granite, quartzite being even harder than granite. Drums seem to last about 6-8 years.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2013-06-08 09:10

    I wonder if that is why they use river rock around here, all the stuff that goes into concrete has no sharp edges. That and it's cheaper than stuff that could be used for interlocking base I suppose....

  5. #5kevink2013-06-08 22:20

    Thanks for the info didnt figure there was that much difference thanks again

  6. #6grandpa2013-06-09 08:52

    Residential must get the river rock,,, around here commercial grade concrete has to have a percentage of crushed rock.. the spec book also state's the crusher must be taking up to 8 inch rock to crush.