Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grease for grease gun – CAT 259D

Satish · 2020-05-15 11:41

Newer CAT259D track loader owner here. What type of grease are most of you using for daily/routine maintenance via grease gun?

Replies13
  1. #1Ct Farmer2020-05-15 15:02

    This has been discussed a zillion times. General consensus is a 5% moly NLGI #2 grease for pins and bushings. I like Schaffer 238. For bearings a good red grease is fine. No moly in bearings. Use plenty of grease.

  2. #2CM19952020-05-15 18:19

    This is what we use - https://phillips66lubricants.com/product/megaplex-xd3-construction-earth-moving/ Buy it in tube and 80lb kegs. It's a good grease at a good price from our fuel supplier.

  3. #3Satish2020-05-17 21:44

    I looked up the CAT 259D manual, they recommend the Cat Prime Application Grease NLGI #2, Moly 3%. The local dealer had it for $3.40/tube

  4. #4CM19952020-05-18 18:46

    How many hours will this 259D see a month? Depending on usage, $3.40 a tube is reasonable if you're not racking up hours. If you are greasing daily or twice a day like we have to on our 279D's then $3.40 a tube gets expensive really quick.

  5. #5Satish2020-05-18 20:03

    Maybe 50 hours per month. Can reach 75 hours

  6. #6Coaldust2020-05-18 21:32

    We’ve been beating this subject to death lately, but that’s cool. ct Farmer nailed it.!

  7. #7Flat Thunder Channel2020-05-18 22:19

    So unrelated, but kind of the same topic, name a good manual grease gun? I have a manual pistol grip grease gun and it is frequently annoying me. It constantly needs burped and the grease is always leaking past the piston. I wanted to throw it this last weekend. I used to hang it vertically, but learned quickly not to do that. Now I store it flat on the floor and I'm starting think it is just a turd.

  8. #8Coaldust2020-05-18 22:24

    Alemite 500-E is the answer you seek. Splurge and get a LockNLube coupler for it.

  9. #9Flat Thunder Channel2020-05-18 22:47

    Do you know if it's made in USA? I know the lock n lube branded grease zerk fittings are. I will definitely look into this unit. Thanks for sharing

  10. #10CM19952020-05-19 20:08

    Umm none of those IMO. Once you have a cordless grease gun you'll never want a hand operated one again.

  11. #11grandpa2020-05-19 20:21

    Auto greaser. Spendy, but worth it.

  12. #12Coaldust2020-05-19 23:02

    Flat Thunder Channel, That’s a great question and a good point. The box the Alemite 500 ships in says made in China. Further investigation shows that you have to step up to the Alemite 1056-S4 if you want a made in the USA one. And who wouldn’t ?? Made in South Carolina. It’s a $150 grease gun. Now, that I know better, I must do better. No more Chinese grease guns. Damn. I’ll have to mis-place my Alemite 500, or allow it to get stolen, so I can replace it with an American one. Hanging out on this forum costs me money.

  13. #13Flat Thunder Channel2020-05-19 23:37

    I contemplated a cordless electric version, but I like to gage the pressure in the handle. I am not ashamed to admit that I have broken things or 'over lubricated things' with my manual guns. Now, i am a shade wiser and give up after a certain amount of pumps and definitely stop when I start to feel back pressure. I am afraid I might have to start over with the learning curve on an electric version. I am pretty sure my current grease gun is an over seas special. It isn't worth a nickle and will find its way to the scrap pile before too long! I will look into the other version. I appreciate the information and encourage everyone to buy american.