Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grease guns

bigshow ยท 2013-02-23 21:08

This is pretty long winded so please bare with me, I have been pondering the purchase of a Milwaukee M12 cordless grease gun, mainly because I keep a couple small impacts and cordless ratchets in my tool truck that utilize the M12 batteries. I'm a stickler for high quality tools and have had bad luck with the original Lincoln cordless grease guns, so therefor I have been a diehard fan of the Cat model Pro-L grease gun and will NOT use anything less/else. I even have a 35 lb. Lincoln air unit with a hose reel in my tool truck and still use the Cat grease gun, hell, I've had the same gun for over 5 years, and with the aid of an everyday wipe down of ether, it still looks and works like brand new. Now to the point of all this jibberish, I like heavy hitting manual grease guns, 10,000 p.s.i. kinds of grease guns, the kind that paint your arch-nemesis' windshield from 10' away, the only cordless unit I've found that will produce roughly that kind of pressure is an Alemite, the huge li-ion 18v Lincoln puts out ~8,500p.s.i., the small Milwaukee claims ~8,500 also, it also claims to pump 7 tubes of grease on one 12 volt battery in a perfect world. Does anyone have the Milwaukee?, or any other suggestions for GOOD cordless grease guns that aren't huge, but pack a whollop?

Replies15
  1. #1ANDREW C2013-02-23 21:28

    I had an alemite that was rated for 10000psi. I loved it, it would push grease through frozen up joints but being on a service truck seemed to kill the batteries after four years which I think wasn't great. I had a local battery company rebuild the batteries but I never got the same life out of it. In the last year I have had bad luck with all my cordless tools and have replaced them with air tools as I have a compressor on my truck. I run a lincon air grease gun on my truck. I works excellent except with cold grease. The alemite cost me $250 and the list was around $500 at the time. The lincon cost me $125. I have found the lincon can tighten tracks on most excavators up to an 850DLC as long as the grease is not frozen (we dont run winter grease) If I were to do it again I would buy the new style lincon air guns as the old ones had a cast piece were the grease line hooked up and was easy to break. If it had to be a cordless I think I would buy another alemite but keep the batteries a little more maintained rather than have them freezing and then trying to get them to work.

  2. #2bushcat2013-02-23 23:02

    i run a alemite gun and I just love it,even in frigid temps jmoa

  3. #3mitch5042013-02-24 06:29

    Another Alemite fan here, cordless and manual guns.

  4. #4qball2013-02-24 10:31

    lincoln cordless guns are junk, imho. i have an alemite manual gun and love it. it pumps harder than any gun i have ever owned.

  5. #5PAcattech2013-02-24 11:18

    I've had Milwaukee M12 for around 2 years and it will pump 7 tubes no problem on a battery .I like the handle and the long hose . it has greased every pin , adjusted every track I tried It on. I would highly recommend it .and use Milwaukee stuff already so you no its quality and you have spare batteries already.

  6. #6Ace K2013-02-24 20:00

    Love the Milwaukee I second what PAcattech said, however I still have to use my manual on some fittings on the junk. It does take a bigger 12v battery.

  7. #7blitz1382013-02-24 23:09

    Alemite all the way

  8. #8tdozer2013-02-25 14:12

    I've also had very good luck with the Milwaukee gun. On a warm day it will pump 6-7 tubes on one charge. Even if its below freezing it will pump 4-5 tubes. I think that's pretty damn good. I too have a bunch of tools that use the M12 battery,that convienence is another added bonus. I will never buy another Lincoln p.o.s.

  9. #9Multiracer2013-02-25 14:24

    http://www.alemite.com/catalog/details.aspx?identifier=guns_cordless Are these the guns you guys are referring to ? Ron PS. I too own a Lincoln that is about finished !

  10. #10blitz1382013-02-25 15:55

    Yup, thats the Alemite one. I always used the 14 v. Weird that the 14 v goes to 10,000 psi and the 18v only goes to 8500 psi. About three years ago Alemite switched to the lithium-ion battery. It made a huge difference on how long the battery lasts. As far as lincolns go they seem to be hit or miss

  11. #11BlazinSS9342013-02-25 17:10

    No brainer on getting the M12 grease jobby!!!! I have so many pieces of the M12 line that ifmy wife ever found out I'd be in deep poo ! Lol

  12. #12PhilDirt2013-02-26 06:44

    I have a Milwaukee and love it. I have to be careful not to over tighten my tracks with it, it's never failed to fill a fitting so far. 6 or 7 tubes on a charge no sweat.

  13. #13tuney4432013-02-26 09:55

    My 14.4 Lincoln is a great gun,will pump till the cows come home and will push grease through some frozen pins,so I have no idea what some of you guys are talking about.

  14. #14bigshow2013-02-26 13:52

    Thanks for all the feedback, so the least I can do is let you folks know what I decided and why. I bought the M12 due to the battery compatibility with other small tools I have, had I not owned other M12 batteries I would have jumped on the Alemite cordless units.

  15. #15bigshow2013-03-13 15:48

    So far, so good, put 6 tubes through before needing to change the battery, and it's been fairly cold here also. Puts out quite a bit of grease per cycle of the pump, fairly light weight and compact compared to some others I've had in my hands. For the price you can't go wrong.