Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Greasing Intervals

stooky ยท 2010-10-15 09:51

Hey, Are the guidelines in the maintenance guide good to follow for greasing? I did not have an operator's manual until I bought one online. I created a pre-start logbook a while ago and had greasing in there for every start and then every 4hrs. Looking in the operator's manual it is saying every 50hrs for greasing? What does everyone else do? I'm one of those maintenance freaks that wants to protect his investment by being thorough. I think my every start/ every 4hrs is excessive, but 50hrs seems too much. I have a Hitachi EX200LC-3 with thumb. Thanks. Chris.

Replies8
  1. #1Wardiker2010-10-15 14:15

    I do the bucket and area every 8 hrs, depending on the work. I grease the entire unit every 24 to 40 hours of operation just to be safe.

  2. #2j.r.2010-10-15 14:47

    i work 10 hour days and i grease my hoe at the end of every day. its something to do while the machine is cooling down.

  3. #3stooky2010-10-15 16:20

    Yeah....I'm going to stick with my regimen, grease is cheap. Thanks for the replies.

  4. #4heavylift2010-10-15 16:41

    I depends but usually once a day..... unless you have a piece of equipment that starts to talk to you...then it's time for some grease... I've ran skid steers that needs the bucket pins hit 2 or 3 times a day... Like you said grease is cheap...

  5. #5sultan2010-10-15 17:02

    Whole machine: every 8-10 hours or daily When digging in water, I do the bucket pins every 4 hours. The manual's intervals can work when the machine is new and the grease seals are perfect, but even then it'll probably be a good idea to grease more often. Once the machine is broken in, enough play develops to make the grease flow out, so then its important to grease regularly. For the swing bearing, I generally put in 2 shots in both fittings with every full machine greasing rather than by putting in a ton once every 3 months.

  6. #6RonG2010-10-16 04:21

    I always grease in the mornings while the equipment is warming up.I try to do the dozers every day 100%,an excavator gets the bucket group every day,complete greasing every other day.The swing table doesn't need a lot of grease,you can tell when it needs it if you are running it every day. I generally grease anything 100% if someone else has been running it.After about a week the fittings won't take grease any more and you need the oil can to free them up. I grease the loader buckets at least once a day,often twice if it gets used a lot. I grease the end of the backhoe that gets used the most every day.There is no point in greasing the back end if you are not using it. I use too much grease,I count the shots that each pin gets and I pump enough in to force out any debris that may have gotten in there. I am used to getting grease on me and the machine while traveling in the woods and shrubbery but that is the price I pay for what I do.......or did I should say.LOL.Ron G

  7. #7deerefan2010-11-03 19:41

    Hey guys, anybody have any good advice for what grease to run we usually use shaeffers to it does get a lil thick in the winter and its a bit pricy any body have any good luck with any other stuff?

  8. #8Komatsu 1502010-11-04 07:42

    If you like Shaeffers just ask them if they have a lighter grade for winter. Most grease is available in different weights. We switch to No. 1 in the winter instead of our normal No. 2.